Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Feather Machine - anyone know anything? >

Vintage Feather Machine - anyone know anything?

Vintage Feather Machine - anyone know anything?

Old 07-14-2020, 12:48 PM

Default Vintage Feather Machine - anyone know anything?

Hi all you vintage machine enthusiasts! I've been shopping around for a vintage type machine (I'm looking for something strong, with the needle placement as close as possible to the left side of the machine. I found an ad for this and I've googled it but I can't find anything. I've looked on here but the search term "feather" brings up all the Singer Featherweights. I've contacted the seller but haven't heard back yet. Any information you have would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	94748110_10156895368036288_3344270916321280000_n.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	626536  
Old 07-14-2020, 01:07 PM

This would likely be a Japanese Singer 15 clone. Good machines.

Love the Amelia series.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:10 PM

It appears to be a 15 clone. The story is that the US gave the plans for the Singer 15 to Japan after WWII, so that they could re-start their manufacturing base. As I understand it, it's almost/exact replica of the Singer 15 (I've never owned a 15 clone, so I'm speaking from hearsay). They came out will all sorts of good old American names.

It is not a left homing machine. Are you sure you want a left homing machine?

bkay

Old 07-14-2020, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
It appears to be a 15 clone. The story is that the US gave the plans for the Singer 15 to Japan after WWII, so that they could re-start their manufacturing base. As I understand it, it's almost/exact replica of the Singer 15 (I've never owned a 15 clone, so I'm speaking from hearsay). They came out will all sorts of good old American names.

It is not a left homing machine. Are you sure you want a left homing machine?

bkay
Thanks for the information. I'm not sure what you mean by left homing? Do you mean the needle sets to the left when it's running? If so, that's not what I was looking for. I'm looking for a machine that doesn't have all the body parts in the way on the left like the new machines have. I've started sewing bags and I'm having a hard time with the bottom of the bag because my Janome 9400 has so much on the left side of the needle/foot so I can't get close enough to the foot with all the stiff fabric.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:32 PM

As I understand it, the left homing machine is a zig-zag machine. When it's not zig-zagging, but straight stitching, it sits on the left side of the zig-zag instead of the middle, if that makes any sense (homes to the left side). I've not had one, but I believe that because it sits to the left, it's hard to get an accurate 1/4" seam when you piece a quilt.

The 15 clone should do well for you. It appears to be in good shape. Generally speaking, they don't take any professional service. You are able to clean and oil them yourself with the manual referenced below.

Here's a manual for 15 clones, writtten by Bill Holman, a legend in the vintage sewing machine world.

bkay
Old 07-14-2020, 03:56 PM

It won't zig zag without attachments. Bring a magnet ,There is a tiny chance it could be aluminum.Yay.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
It won't zig zag without attachments. Bring a magnet ,There is a tiny chance it could be aluminum.Yay.
Sorry to ask probably stupid questions, but would aluminum be a bad thing or a good thing. It would make it lighter, but other than that?
Old 07-14-2020, 05:24 PM

Other than lighter, it makes no difference. We just like them when they are aluminum. They are kind of hard to find.
That machine is a straight stitch only machine. The attachments that make it zig-zag are pretty lame.
bkay
Old 07-15-2020, 04:42 PM

The only place a magnet sticks to it are the fly wheel and the silver parts so I guess that means it's aluminum, although it's still pretty heavy. I bought it, so now I just have to play with it. First order is finding a new drive belt as the one that's on the machine is cracked rubber and probably won't last much longer. Other than having to help it start off because the belt is loose, it stitched quite nicely and runs pretty quiet! I've only had electronic machines since the 80's so this is going to be interesting.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:25 PM

Congratulations on the new machine! Amazon has lots of belts. Anything for a Singer 15-90 should fit yours. I mostly sew bags, and my 15 clone is the machine that I use the most, so I’m sure your going to love yours.