Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking quilt >

Marking quilt

Marking quilt

Old 07-20-2020, 04:14 PM

Default Marking quilt

I am trying to mark a quilt for hand quilting. It is an appliquéd quilt. I will quilt around the appliqué, so they don’t need to be marked. However I am crosshatching the entire quilt. I have marked an X from corner to corner and with a clear wide ruler with 1” lines am marking from there. No matter how I try, I can’t get everything to come out correctly with all squares exactly 1”. I think give in the fabric and maybe some slight variation in the blocks are the problem. How can this be handled? I have already spent many hours and have a long way to go. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I like to hand quilt lines by quilting along the edge of masking tape. As for getting exact 1 inch squares, that may be difficult as block can vary.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:09 PM

How much does it show if the squares are not perfect?
Old 07-20-2020, 07:31 PM

If possible, I would not worry about the exact-ness of the cross hatching. I think it is more important to have it line up with your patchwork. for example, I am quilting a quilt using straight line quilting close together. I am primarily concerned about the lines hitting the points of the flying geese and if the other fill-in lines vary slightly in width, its not too noticeable. I would stitch your main lines first to connect the target points, then you can "fudge" the in between places and even them out as much as possible.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	edge close up in progress.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	674.2 KB
ID:	626667  
Old 07-21-2020, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

LAF2019, I love the floral fabric. Your quilting is gorgeous.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:11 PM

Smile Marking a quilt top for hand quilting

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
If possible, I would not worry about the exact-ness of the cross hatching. I think it is more important to have it line up with your patchwork. for example, I am quilting a quilt using straight line quilting close together. I am primarily concerned about the lines hitting the points of the flying geese and if the other fill-in lines vary slightly in width, its not too noticeable. I would stitch your main lines first to connect the target points, then you can "fudge" the in between places and even them out as much as possible.
LAF2019 Your post has given me the impetus to try to machine quilt some of my projects. I thought everything had to be perfect. Your quilt is beautiful, as is the quilting. I feel as if you just opened a cage. Thank you.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 PM

Jingle, Thank you
Nanoo, Jump in and give it a go! The thing that I am still learning (I have to remind myself regularly!), that you cannot judge the look of the design until the quilt is done. *nothing* looks good in only a 6 inch space! lol. So don't judge your work too early, just finish it first, then decide.