Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki Miyabi J-350QVP S sit down free motion >

Juki Miyabi J-350QVP S sit down free motion

Juki Miyabi J-350QVP S sit down free motion

Old 08-15-2020, 12:29 PM

donna--this machine can be bought and set up as a sit-down long arm (you move the fabric under the needle) which runs $6k. It can also be bought and set up as a frame long arm (you move the machine over the fabric) that runs about $8-10K depending on length/width of frame, sales promos, and dealer pricing practices). It can also be 'easily' converted from the one type of quilting machine to the other says my dealer. I don't really have the room for what I would need/want --a 10'-12' frame long arm--so I am trying to get better at sit-down FMQing. If it turns out I will never be good enough at FMQ to FMQ quilt my own quilt tops, I appreciate knowing I have the option of converting to a frame, even if I have to limit myself to a 7' frame so it will fit in my sewing room (I think the optional lengths/widths are 5', 7', 10', and 12').

Last edited by frannella; 08-15-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: rephrasing to make more inteliigible
Old 10-27-2020, 11:49 AM

I am taking a class November this year to learn how to use the machine at my sewing shop. $7 G for me is an investment. I usually quilt on my domestic so learning on this machine will be interesting. Good luck to you
Old 10-27-2020, 11:53 AM

Any pics ??
Old 09-28-2021, 04:58 AM

Default Top and Bobbin Thread for this Juki J-350QVP sit down?

I have this machine ordered and am very excited about learning to FMQ. Currently I free motion on my domestic and feel that I could do better work on a large workspace. The cost is something I had to think long and hard about, but I decided I really wanted to be a better quilter.
So my question is about thread. We only have a Joann and a Hobby Lobby locally, and I have to drive 2+ hours to a quilt shop, so I have to order mostly online. What thread do you use in this machine? Do you use same thread for top and bottom, or a lighter weight in bobbin? The dealer says she only uses polyester, and really didn't address the 'same thread?' top and bottom question. She did say the machine is not picky about thread, which is good because some machines ARE!!!!
I use 50 wt cotton Connecting Thread for piecing and love it. Also use it for free machine on my domestic sewing machine. Does anyone use that for the Juki for top and/or bobbin? Just need some ideas and opinions on what works for you.
Thanks everyone!
Old 09-28-2021, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I don’t have that machine but suggest trying different threads and top/bobbin combos and see what works best and what you like best. Start with what you have first. It all might work and you might like it. I have a Brother PQ1500 and it takes most any thread.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by dbrit89828 View Post
I have this machine ordered and am very excited about learning to FMQ. Currently I free motion on my domestic and feel that I could do better work on a large workspace. The cost is something I had to think long and hard about, but I decided I really wanted to be a better quilter.
So my question is about thread. We only have a Joann and a Hobby Lobby locally, and I have to drive 2+ hours to a quilt shop, so I have to order mostly online. What thread do you use in this machine? Do you use same thread for top and bottom, or a lighter weight in bobbin? The dealer says she only uses polyester, and really didn't address the 'same thread?' top and bottom question. She did say the machine is not picky about thread, which is good because some machines ARE!!!!
I use 50 wt cotton Connecting Thread for piecing and love it. Also use it for free machine on my domestic sewing machine. Does anyone use that for the Juki for top and/or bobbin? Just need some ideas and opinions on what works for you.
Thanks everyone!
I like Glide thread the best for my Juki J-350 Miyabi. Glide is a 100% polyester thread that comes on 5,000 yard cones for about $12 at my LQS. It comes in lots of colors, has a tiny bit of sheen, and is made in the USA. If you don't have a dealer nearby, it is also available on Amazon. I always use the same thread (can be different colors though) in the top and bobbin. I've become such a fan of Glide, I've even use it for piecing.

You might be interested to know there's a Facebook group dedicated to the Juki J-350 Miyabi where you can also get lots of information about your new machine.

Last edited by BonnieJP; 09-28-2021 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:36 AM

Default Tension!!!!

Have mercy!!!! My new machine is set up and I followed all instructions for threading and winding bobbin. I am totally baffled about tension. There are no numbers on tension dial so I don't know what I'm doing. Top of quilt piece looks ok, but back has eyelashes. I have fiddled with top tension with no real improvement. Even loosened bobbin tension some with same results. New needle, same polyester thread in to and bobbin. I know there is a sweet spot for tension settings, but I'm so frustrated, I don't know what else to do. Ideas???
Old 09-30-2021, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by dbrit89828 View Post
Have mercy!!!! My new machine is set up and I followed all instructions for threading and winding bobbin. I am totally baffled about tension. There are no numbers on tension dial so I don't know what I'm doing. Top of quilt piece looks ok, but back has eyelashes. I have fiddled with top tension with no real improvement. Even loosened bobbin tension some with same results. New needle, same polyester thread in to and bobbin. I know there is a sweet spot for tension settings, but I'm so frustrated, I don't know what else to do. Ideas???
I sandwiched some batting between a couple of fat quarters to test the tension. I sew a little, adjust tension a little, sew a little, adjust again if necessary until the tension is perfect. I do not play with the bobbin tension, only the top tension. Some Juki owners swear by the Towa tension guage for fine tuning the bobbin tension, but I have found my test sandwich works just fine. Jamie Wallen also has a YouTube video (Taking the Stress out of Longarm Tension) that provides tips on adjusting the bobbin tension on a longarm machine.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP View Post
I sandwiched some batting between a couple of fat quarters to test the tension. I sew a little, adjust tension a little, sew a little, adjust again if necessary until the tension is perfect. I do not play with the bobbin tension, only the top tension. Some Juki owners swear by the Towa tension guage for fine tuning the bobbin tension, but I have found my test sandwich works just fine. Jamie Wallen also has a YouTube video (Taking the Stress out of Longarm Tension) that provides tips on adjusting the bobbin tension on a longarm machine.
The Jamie Wallen video is good. Thanks! I'll go do more testing with his tips in mind.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:18 PM

Unhappy Juki Long Arm machine

I just got my Juki long arm and have set it up. I had some problems with the tension also. I tightened the screw on the bobbin case a little which helped some. I noticed that the shaft that holds the pressure foot had marks on it. I lowered the foot down a notch and it is working good. I have a free motion Tin Lizzy that I have just loved. there is no stitch regulator on it. We had a flood and I thought it was damaged so bought this Juki. just learning how to use it. My Tin Lizzy instructor said that the pressure foot should be low enough to slide a quarter under it with the quilt under it. I has worked for me. hope this helps.

OK now I have to ask. My new Juki hat a throat plate on that is not even with the table top. shouldn't it be even? PLEASE HELP.