Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm blocked! ;) >

I'm blocked! ;)

I'm blocked! ;)

Old 08-22-2020, 07:59 AM

I usually go to Pinterest and get some inspiration. Also, MSQC and Jordan's Fabrics have a lot of free tutorials that may give you some ideas. You could decide on an easy pattern and with your beautiful fabrics you could make it very gorgeous. Good luck on your decision.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Hiya Marcie, I'm not from Michigan but before he moved out here to Seattle to be with me, Hubby grew up in the Grand Rapids area. It's funny that for the last couple of years one of the on-line shops I go to is the small Michigan chain of Fields Fabrics.

If I'm understanding modern baby care, "they" don't want anything in the crib under age one, wrap the baby in a sleeper and call it good so you do have a little bit of grace time for your project.

I do drape my fabric in my living spaces until it speaks to me... to be stationary in my house means you eventual get covered with fabric just like moss in a rain forest.

I can understand getting overwhelmed, you might try doing a search on "3 yard quilt patterns" (or 5), and see if anything like that speaks to you. We can help you size it for baby if you find something you like.

Funny...the baby, who is my great-granddaughter, lives in Allendale! Her mom, my eldest granddaughter, went to Grand Valley! You're right, until she's older, the quilt is for decor or tummy time!
Old 08-22-2020, 03:00 PM

See if this quilt speaks to you: https://youtu.be/cvPX4M6_j1Q

When you said lots of background and vintage look this is what I thought of. Bonus - it’s really easy!
Old 08-22-2020, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Start looking at patterns online. There are more than you could ever make in a lifetime!
Old 08-22-2020, 03:42 PM

Marcie Stone, I'm in Plymouth, MI just a bit south of you to the east. Look at Missouri Star Quilt Company videos. I've found patterns there that are free.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
ummm…..I am thinking a simple traditional block quilt would look great. even a simple half square triangle block stitched together in rows where one of your focus fabrics is paired with the background fabric in each block. Would be simple...but cute!
You could use those half sq triangles and make pinwheels. I was asked to make a pinwheel quilt when my little grand daughter turned one.... a queen size! -lol-I made the Pinwheels large because the quilt was large. She is using it on her trunnel bed and she is now 7 years old. Mom loves the simplicity of the Pinwheel and reminds grand daughter of the Spinners you blow on, forget just what they are called.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:20 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
See if this quilt speaks to you: https://youtu.be/cvPX4M6_j1Q

When you said lots of background and vintage look this is what I thought of. Bonus - it’s really easy!
That's pretty! Might be a little too much background than I'm looking for...thanks for helping!
Old 08-23-2020, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
You could use those half sq triangles and make pinwheels. I was asked to make a pinwheel quilt when my little grand daughter turned one.... a queen size! -lol-I made the Pinwheels large because the quilt was large. She is using it on her trunnel bed and she is now 7 years old. Mom loves the simplicity of the Pinwheel and reminds grand daughter of the Spinners you blow on, forget just what they are called.

That's a good balance of light and dark! I know I'm going to sound a little crazy but, I've already made a pinwheel quilt and I try to make something new each time. Thanks for helping!
Old 08-23-2020, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
Marcie Stone, I'm in Plymouth, MI just a bit south of you to the east. Look at Missouri Star Quilt Company videos. I've found patterns there that are free.
Hi neighbor! We lived in and around the Northville/Plymouth area for years! Thanks for helping!
Old 08-23-2020, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
This is why I normally only buy for projects vs having a 'stash'. I would have zero clue as to how to go from fabric to quilt pattern but I can easily go from pattern to fabric, lol. Plus I have no room to store anything.
I don't buy fabric unless I have project in mind...that said, I've been sewing for 60 years so I have a "stash" of leftover bits and pieces that I usually go into to incorporate a piece of old in any new quilt! As far as storage...it's all in tubs in the basement which makes it a challenge to find anything. I love to admire the sewing rooms on Pinterest where all the fabric is neatly stored on shelves and color coordinated...a girl can dream, right?