Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm blocked! ;) >

I'm blocked! ;)

I'm blocked! ;)

Old 08-27-2020, 03:35 AM

I've been under the weather the last few days but feeling better now. Thanks for the helpful suggestions...this is why I love message boards and can't believe it took me so long to find this one!

Old 08-27-2020, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by LisaInOhio View Post
I will be watching this thread to see what you decide. I have another granddaughter due in late January and I've already purchased a layer cake and some yardage from the Rue 1800 collection to make a quilt for her. It is such soft, classic and beautiful fabric! I haven't decided on a pattern either but was thinking it should be something somewhat "old fashioned" style to go with the fabrics. I love the 2nd Pinterest one you posted above (sawtooth star/puss in corner) and might consider that. I can't wait to see what you decide - and the finished product! - as it might be a while before I get to make mine. Good luck on your search!
I didn't purchase the entire range of fabrics in the Rue 1800 because my GD nixed the grays, so I bought fat quarters in 4 of the small pink florals and 4 of the green plus yardage of an ivory with tiny soft pink dots (Essential Dots by Moda) and yardage of the gorgeous tone on tone pink floral for the backing. Additionally, I have a few fabrics leftover from projects that I may use. I tried to figure out how to make that second quilt pattern work with my limited palette (pinks, greens, ivory) and I was having a hard time...mainly because I have a really difficult (if not impossible) time doing random placement! I like symmetry and order! Can I pick your brain? Do you think it would look good if I did all the sawtooth stars in the pinks and all the 9 patch in greens? And if I did that, should the border triangles still be pink? That's what I would prefer but I'm worried the whole quilt would read too much pink. Thanks for helping!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by starshine View Post
When my first daughter was born my husband's aunt made a baby quilt with small dresdan plate blocks for the quilt. It was very sweet and when my daughter left home she took it with her. She's married now and still has it either on a guess bed at the foot of the bed or in the living room for a lap quilt.
I've always loved dresden plate quilts but they just seem too difficult! I'm not the most experienced (or adventurous) quilter so if it's not straight lines, I usually don't attempt it! Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I'd love to see that fabric in French Roses, but I don't think I'd like the shaggy edges for a baby. Warm Wishes? Simple, but will showcase the fabrics.
Both are pretty! Those French Roses are gorgeous and I'd love to make her a quilt with French anything because it's their last name but I agree, probably not a good idea for a baby. I think I might make a little French braid doll quilt for her, though!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Every kaleidoscope quilt I make looks so different, even though I use the same pattern.
Here is a sample. Also included heart quilt made for daughter.
Beautiful work!!! You are a very talented quilter!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by MarcieStone View Post
Good! Thinking about this one but picture it in pinks, greens, and ivory. What say you?
This one has been on my mind a lot! It really appeals to me but as I only do straight line machine quilting, I don't know how to approach that aspect of the project...would you simply follow the shape of each triangle then carry that line of stitching into the border? I'm considering eliminating the wide border and only doing the "banners" with the narrow border...? I love the idea of also doing an actual banner to hang in her room!
Old 08-27-2020, 11:20 AM

I didn't purchase the entire range of fabrics in the Rue 1800 because my GD nixed the grays, so I bought fat quarters in 4 of the small pink florals and 4 of the green plus yardage of an ivory with tiny soft pink dots (Essential Dots by Moda) and yardage of the gorgeous tone on tone pink floral for the backing. Additionally, I have a few fabrics leftover from projects that I may use. I tried to figure out how to make that second quilt pattern work with my limited palette (pinks, greens, ivory) and I was having a hard time...mainly because I have a really difficult (if not impossible) time doing random placement! I like symmetry and order! Can I pick your brain? Do you think it would look good if I did all the sawtooth stars in the pinks and all the 9 patch in greens? And if I did that, should the border triangles still be pink? That's what I would prefer but I'm worried the whole quilt would read too much pink. Thanks for helping!
Sorry for the delay in answering. I was working and wanted to take the time to google the specific fabrics to try to picture your vision before answering. I think that would be beautiful (pink stars, green "between" blocks) and I don't think it would be too much pink if you used pink in the edges. I think all the background plus the greens would break it up enough to give contrast, and it would be soft and very pretty. But I see from subsequent posts that you are considering the banner one instead. Either will be gorgeous, and I can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 08-29-2020, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by LisaInOhio View Post
Sorry for the delay in answering. I was working and wanted to take the time to google the specific fabrics to try to picture your vision before answering. I think that would be beautiful (pink stitars, green "between" blocks) and I don't think it would be too much pink if you used pink in the edges. I think all the background plus the greens would break it up enough to give contrast, and it would be soft and very pretty. But I see from subsequent posts that you are considering the banner one instead. Either will be gorgeous, and I can't wait to see what you do with it!
I did choose the banner quilt pattern! It will be a challenge because of all the bias edges so I hope I don't regret it! I'm changing it up a bit, though...instead of a dark border, mine will probably be the ivory/pink dots and the narrow borders will cross at the corners forming cornerstones.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:24 AM

I did choose the banner quilt pattern! It will be a challenge because of all the bias edges so I hope I don't regret it! I'm changing it up a bit, though...instead of a dark border, mine will probably be the ivory/pink dots and the narrow borders will cross at the corners forming cornerstones.
UPDATE: I used the ivory/pink dots for the wide border and HATED IT! I was too blah. Additionally, I used some fabric I already had for the narrow borders and hated that, too! I had the top done, then just layed it out and walked away...I kept going back to look at it hoping it would grow on me but, nope, still hate it! Back to the quilt shop for 2 more Rue 1800 fabrics and back to work. Oh, and that fabric I already had...my "cheap" fabric was so not up to par with the Moda fabrics, not even close!