Case Restorations?

Old 08-29-2020, 06:41 PM

Default Case Restorations?

How about cases? Has anyone restored their old sewing machine case?
Old 08-30-2020, 07:14 AM

Which case are you asking about?
bkay
Old 08-30-2020, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I have removed all the smelly fabric from my Featherweight case. It has a really nice wood case but I need to reglue, sand and clear coat it yet. It has been sitting for a year. Maybe next year I will get to it?
Old 08-30-2020, 09:09 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have removed all the smelly fabric from my Featherweight case. It has a really nice wood case but I need to reglue, sand and clear coat it yet. It has been sitting for a year. Maybe next year I will get to it?
Tartan,
Was it hard to remove the fabric and the paper from the outside of the case? I am considering doing it to one of my featherweight cases and have put it off because I would hate to have the project unfinished if it is harder than I thought it would be.
How are you planning on finishing it?
Mary Ann
Old 08-30-2020, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

The hardest part was getting it out from under the hinges as I didn’t want to remove any of the hardware. The case was really dry and I was afraid removing any hardware would crack it. I put it in the strap vices to keep all the case tight until I can reglue. It wanted to warp once the fabric was off and it was drying. The stink comes from the animal parts glue they used to stick on the fabric and moulds growing in it. I am going to use black rust paint on the tray after giving it a bit of sanding. Mine has one broken hinge that needs replacing but I am not attempting that yet.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:36 AM
mac

Good to know. Thanks. Let me know how it goes.
Mary Ann
Old 08-30-2020, 11:44 AM

I just sold a case that was in desperate need of repair and refinishing. When I looked at the case after I bought my 2nd FW it was in rough shape. I thought about restoring it and realized it would most like be something I could easily screw up very easy. So I sold it to someone who has the skills and would give is a good deal of TLC. I am glad you are one of the special ones that can take on this challenge. I want to see it when it is all done!!
Old 09-04-2020, 11:52 AM

Default refinished an all wood White case, it is beautiful

Yes, I've refinished wood cases. Here is a photo of a White case. I've also done featherweights. The featherweight smell is from the old drip pan oil pad under the machine that probably was never replaced, the oil goes old and nasty and smelly and the smell seeps into the wood and fabric. Replace the oil pad in the drip pan first otherwise it is a losing battle. I spray Lush Twilight body spray on the new drip pan pad. I like to wash it down with Shaklee basic G (germicide) to get any mold out, it is organic and very strong. These old wood cases are begging to be refinished just get aggressive and pull off that nasty old fabric, sand her down, fix her joints and stain and poly her. ;-) Reba
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	627605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	627606  
Old 09-04-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The stink comes from the animal parts glue they used to stick on the fabric and moulds growing in it.
Yes it can also come from whale oil if the oiriginal owner used whale oil on the machine, and the nasty oil drip pan pad. I find that the stinky oil drip pan pad removal and replacement helps tremendously. Reba
Old 09-04-2020, 06:32 PM
mac

Once you clean up the drip pan, I have put my empty featherweight case in my car on high temperature days. I leave it there for a couple of hot days and the moldy smell comes right out. I have done this to a couple of my featherweight cases and it has worked like a charm. No more smell!