Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks >

Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Learning How to Make Quilt Blocks

Old 08-19-2020, 06:36 AM

IceBlossom, Have been using a leader when I start a chain stitch. But when I am first joining two block only, I never have. Guess i should do it all the time..

I will see if the leader solves the problem If not, then I will have to go against the automatic tension that the computer does.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:58 AM

It's habit and I use a leader now at the start of everything (even if I'm doing a rare garment project), except if I'm sewing two strips together of uneven length, then I'll start on the long end of the bottom piece.

I chain everything I can as much as possible, and start with those leaders for the last 10 years because I feel it does help my accuracy -- some people also use enders but that hasn't been so much of an issue for me. Strips or pieces into sub-units, sub-units into blocks, blocks into rows... I prefer to do all of one set at a time, that is, if I have to make 1000 HST, I make all of them before moving on to the next step. It gives me consistency which is a good thing -- but not if I make 1000 mistakes. Then you learn to correct those or turn them into something "not so planned". With scrappier projects I can't always do that but I try to at least do 4 sets of things at a time.

Keep in mind when you are sub-cutting strips that your stitch size should be on the small size so that too much doesn't come apart when you cut it.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:50 AM

I have quilted a king sized quilt on my domestic machine. Never again. Probably. To state the obvious, the middle was difficult to maneuver. I used SID and just went slow and concentrated on what needed to be under the needle. Also, it was hot with all that quilt in my lap all the time.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:51 AM

AAshley, Now that I've had a chance to maneuver this 35 block top, I can understand what you are saying. It's very difficult. If not tor pinning everything, and rolling up things where I could, it would have been real fun.

I have another picture of the blocks joined with sashing. Never done this before, but I think it helps when each of your blocks is a little different size, especially the first blocks I created. I got much better the more made. Laying out all of the blocks and trying to sort them not only by colour, but size helped me get everything put together mostly in a rectangular way. I had to do a little creative adjustments while pinning things together in order to adjust for that little 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch difference in length between adjoining block rows.

I'm sure the colour arrangement isn't to Everyone's taste, but like I said, I had to use whatever I had on hand to create this. For my first big front, I am pretty happy. Only have a few puckers here and there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35 Blocks 3 Small.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	627369  
Old 08-27-2020, 01:22 PM

I've gotten a bit more done on the quilt top. I'm calling this Stars and Bars. I just thought it needed something more on the edges. Now all I have to do is put head and foot sashing on, and it will be ready to put together for quilting.

Name:	Stars and Bars Small.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	627466  
Old 08-27-2020, 04:54 PM

CaleyH- The quilting process is a progressive learning experience, and iwe all can learn something every day. Keep at it,

I don't want to pick on your block, so please take this a constructive. I don't know the sewing sequence you used in sewing your HSTs, But if you look at the two on the right, the reason the points don't match exactly is a simple problem with the seam allowance. A little wider one on the bottom HST will bring the points closer.

I always look at the back and ensure the seam allowances are equal widths.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:03 PM

OMQ, Thanks. I've been at this a little over two months. Really never sewed anything before, except for repairing seams by hand.

I am learning slowly but surely. My biggest problem is that I am close to the 1/4 inch seam, but I still tend to wander a few 32nds here and there.

Because those seams vary a bit on each square, I tend to be a little smaller on my 12 inch squares, and that means that occasionally I lose a point here and there. No biggie. The 12 inch squares are also, occasionally a little lop sided. I used to try to make them perfectly square, but that cause me to lose a little of the 1/4 inch allowance for when i then attached another square or strip. I now don't worry about a tiny lop sided square. I just put things together, and have to be happy with what I come up with.

Regardless, I am not looking for perfection. I want to enjoy what I am doing. I figure that over the months and years, I will improve on how I do things.

I no longer have to be a perfectionist like when I was in the military, or doing a civilian job. I just try to do as well as I can, and in the process, have fun, regardless of the tiny imperfections.

Thanks

Caley
Old 08-31-2020, 02:25 PM

Finally got the last of the bars attached. I put squares in the corners. Seems the quilt top is a tad lop sided. So I had to do some creative adjusting to get it all together.

Maybe one of these years, I will be able to sew blocks without being off that fraction of an inch. All those fractions add up when it comes down to a complete quilt top

Name:	S and B Complete Small.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	627540  
Old 08-31-2020, 03:07 PM

The perfect seam allowance is something we all work at, pretty much all the time. We each have to find what works for us and there are many solutions. The big thing I think is consistency, some times you are going to run a little big or a little scant, or maybe your machine makes that decision for you, but you learn to work with what you have.

I prefer to press open, I feel I get more exact matches, but I also have to pin the heck out of everything. I also am a fiend on prewashing and pressing. So much pressing and I frankly,dislike ironing for the most part. I have friends who press to the side if they press at all and never prewash (ok, usually I can tell -- but sometimes they get tremendous results) I like to do all of one step at a time, so if I have to make 1000 HST for the top, that is what I do. Other people go block by block. I used to be all about being very very precise, gave that up and the last ten years I've been riding on the cut/sew large/trim down for accuracy bus. It may be a fun and fast bus, but there is still a lot to be learned on just how to do that.

I have and use a lot of tools and gadgets to help me, but I did a lot back in the day without more than basic supplies like folded paper, plates (and cans for circles), and string and a straight edge.

Fabric can be treacherous, it wants to move and shift and stretch. We want it to do what we tell it to do. It's like the joke about the mule, sometimes we have to get the fabric's attention!

You are doing extremely well for just starting.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:52 AM

Default from Don-isewman

Looks very very nice And your points at joining is very precise