Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for former mother-in-law... >

Quilt for former mother-in-law...

Quilt for former mother-in-law...

Old 09-23-2020, 12:09 PM

Default Quilt for former mother-in-law...

So running out of family members to give a quilt to. Jokingly said to DH, would you like me to make a quilt for Sylvia?...and he starts laughing, and laughing, and laughing. I was just being a smart a s s...

Later he said, Ya know. She really loved me and was so mad when her daughter divorced me. Go ahead a make one for her. Make it pretty (I don't make ugly quilts. I may use some ugly fabric...lol) So here we go. Found some cool pic of quilts using HST and away we go.

So will send the quilt to my step daughter. Have her give it Sylvia who is her GM. They live in the same city.

Best part? Sylvia lives with her daughter who is my husband's EX!!! Are we twisted or what?
Old 09-23-2020, 03:36 PM

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. What's wrong with liking someone that somehow got tangled up in other peoples relationship problems? I think you're a really nice person, not twisted at all.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

I’ m sure she will love it! The daughters reaction....that’s even better.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:13 PM

You are a very generous and caring person!!! Love this story, can't wait to see the quilt!!!
Old 09-23-2020, 05:29 PM

I made a quilt for my ex-MIL. It was all rows of flying geese. She loved it. I have learned a lot about quilting since I made that one. She used it until she died. I don't know what happened to it afterward. I for one think it is a great idea all the way around. I loved my MIL. It sounds like your husband had a great relationship with Sylvia.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:01 PM

I don't see why we should ditch people from our family just because they couldn't get along with their spouse. I have a friend who used to be my brother's wife, I absolutely adored her and was devastated when they got divorced. I spent 20 years developing a relationship with her, I saw no reason to end it simply because she and my brother got divorced. So now we're "friends". 🥰

On the other hand, I also adored my mother-in-law, made 3 quilts for her (one at her request) and recently learned that she has given 2 of them away. The one she asked me to make for her was a queen-sized Irish chain with a lovely applique border, she picked out the pattern and fabrics 5 years ago, it took me 2 years to make it and have it quilted, then I sent it to her. I found out about 2 months ago she gave it to my 2 year old great-niece (I'd already made a quilt for the niece). What is a 2-year old going to do with a queen size quilt?? I was so hurt by this. Meanwhile my own mother has only one quilt I've made for her and treasures it. Guess I know who to give my quilts to going forward.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
On the other hand, I also adored my mother-in-law, made 3 quilts for her (one at her request) and recently learned that she has given 2 of them away. The one she asked me to make for her was a queen-sized Irish chain with a lovely applique border, she picked out the pattern and fabrics 5 years ago, it took me 2 years to make it and have it quilted, then I sent it to her. I found out about 2 months ago she gave it to my 2 year old great-niece (I'd already made a quilt for the niece). What is a 2-year old going to do with a queen size quilt?? I was so hurt by this.
Sounds like somebody who had no idea what a handmade object is worth in time and energy. Its all just commodity items.
My in-laws are the same way - Fortunetly I learned with food. Don't bother making homemade cookies - they would rather have Oreos.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:41 AM

I've made a quilt for my ex-beau, didn't seem strange to me as we're still friends after all these years. His present girlfriend and he sleep under it and she knows where it came from. Since we live in different states I guess she doesn't feel I'm a threat to her..................which I'm not. I hope the best for them.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:52 AM

Kudos to you! Making a quilt is a labor of love, and sometimes, an exercise in frustration! Hope she appreciates the sentiment and effort you will be putting into this.

My issue is slightly different...my late MIL was a two-faced "B", but one of my daughters was close to her so when I ended up with her unfinished attempt at a quilt, I decided to finish it for her...my DH told me to burn it! I spent hours taking it apart because she used poly batting, a cheesy fabric backing, and really bad, uneven machine quilting, but the top is done with decent fabrics and pieced nicely (makes me wonder if she actually did the work!) so...I'll finish it..
Old 09-24-2020, 06:04 AM

Some of us have interesting families. I'm lucky that I really like my MiL, I wish we did live closer than halfway across the country from each other.

If given the choice, my hubby would rather spend time with my son's dad/my ex than my brother... me too, for that matter!