Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kaleidoscope Quilt - Need Tips Please >

Kaleidoscope Quilt - Need Tips Please

Kaleidoscope Quilt - Need Tips Please

Old 08-24-2020, 05:22 AM

I came across Bruce Seeds today. He makes hexi-kaleidoscope, art quilts that are just beautiful. He sells them for a pretty penny too. https://bruceseeds.com/ We were talking about borders on another thread and he does some interesting things.

~ C
Old 08-24-2020, 05:32 AM

Wow! That photo gallery is something. Makes me want to send my poor grocery bag full of pieces to him to see what he'd do with it!

Watson
Old 08-24-2020, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Wow! That photo gallery is something. Makes me want to send my poor grocery bag full of pieces to him to see what he'd do with it!

Watson
Did you see his prices? Now, I would love to quilt all day and earn that kind of living for doing what I love.

~ C
Old 09-27-2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Thanks everyone! You won't believe it. I went to town today and did the shopping. I treated myself to a couple of quilting magazines, (which I do about once every 3 or 4 years.) They were sealed in plastic, so I had no idea what was in them. The issue 62 of Today's Quilter has a big spread on these kinds of quilts! Oh lucky me! They are calling them, "Millefiori," quilts and Willyne Hammerstein is the designer. I love all of them. If any of you have that magazine, please look it up. I wanna make one of those. I'll have to look up her book.

Thanks for that video, Barb.

~ C

Millefiori are hand pieced. Similar to English Paper piecing. One Block Wonder “blocks” are rotary cut 6 layer strips matching the design on each strip then cut into triangles using an equilateral triangle ruler.. I am making a. OBW as we speak. I love the Facebook page for ObW. Buy the book.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
Hi tropit. I noticed in a couple of posts that you mentioned the Millefiori quilts. Just so you know these are very different than OBW's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a millefiori is usually a english paper piecing project. They do have the kaleidoscope look, which I do like, but it's all hand piecing (maybe I'll save this for retirement!)

If you are on Facebook, there is a group for one block wonder quilts only. Not only lots of pictures posted, but they also have tips and techniques in PDF format.

Good luck!

agree.....no thanks for me..technique wise. Beautiful tho.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks for the link ... now we know what you are wanting to do!
That is a OBW = One Block Wonder.
You stack six repeats of the fabric. Then cut triangles, to make your hexie blocks.

Similarly, there is a SAW = Stack And Whack with 8 repeats.
Another is the 4PP = Four Patch Posie. Yes, with 4 repeats.
Same process for all three ... different outcomes.

One spin-off that I quite like is where you use a panel print, seven repeats.
One is left uncut ... which becomes the focal point with the hexies placed around it.

Sooooooooooo ...... the real question .....
What do you really want to know about doing a OBW?

EXCELLENT answer.