Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Organizing Without Plastic >

Organizing Without Plastic

Organizing Without Plastic

Old 10-02-2020, 03:47 AM

One word of caution though... Be careful using wood. It can discolor your fabric
Old 10-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Default Canvas bin with window

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I keep all of my fabric in plastic bins, but honestly, I hate the plastic. Every time I start searching for other storage solution, (and not just for my fabric,) I run into more and more plastic...augh! I'd love to hear about the storage solutions that you've found that are more organic and earthy in nature. Wood, ceramic, plant materials, even metal would beat out plastic in my mind. Thanks.

~ C
Maybe something like this stackable canvas bin with window might work for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Stack...3593608&sr=8-6
Old 12-09-2020, 04:28 PM

I keep all of my fabric in plastic bins, but honestly, I hate the plastic. Every time I start searching for other storage solution, (and not just for my fabric,) I run into more and more plastic...augh! I'd love to hear about the storage solutions that you've found that are more organic and earthy in nature. Wood, ceramic, plant materials, even metal would beat out plastic in my mind. Thanks.

~ C
I made matching fabric totes and store my fabric in them. The different colored drawstring 'lids' let me know what's in each bin.
I use a ceramic leaf bowl to hold odds and ends and try not to purchase plastic. But, if I have plastic, I try to reuse it as much as possible before it has to be trashed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1607559671998 (2).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1,004.3 KB
ID:	630226  
Old 12-11-2020, 07:55 AM

I'm with BlueridgeBeverly, I got the decorative storage boxes from Michaels at the end of summer when they were 70% off, athough I have gotten them from Joann at 60% off before. I put labels on the outside in plastic sleeves so I could swap out the contents and not have to unstack them to remember where things are located. I also have larger projects in large boxes from my grocery store. Some of their produce comes in sturdy waxed/thin plastic lined, lidded boxes like banker boxes. I like the fact that they are lined, so there will be no seepage of anything onto fabric, plus they are free. They just aren't as pretty as the decorative ones.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:08 AM

I have floor to ceiling double pantry cabinets for the majority of my fabrics. Then there are upper cabinets for my reproduction fabrics and batiks. I keep fq on the top shelf of this cabinet. Holiday fabrics are under the bed in larger plastic containers. I just pulled out a fraction of them to make Christmas Stockings. Things have been on hold because I have been ill.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

Antique items can be used for odd items, like an old fly fishing rod case for gift wrap and ribbon, suitcase covered with travel stickers for travel books, "puzzle boxes" for modern day sewing attachments, artist boxes for small sewing stuff, decorative tins for clips. You never know what you'll find when snooping around thrifts, CL, Ebay and antique stores.

~C
This is how I hide my supplies and decorate my sewing room at the same time. I am always on the lookout for these items at garage sales thrift stores etc.
Old 01-04-2021, 10:21 AM

Like Onebyone, I like plastic, too. It's easily stackable, I can see enough to know what's in it, lightweight, etc. Some of my plastic boxes are so old they've yellowed, but that took many years. Plastic boxes help me feel organized.