Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pounce usage >

Pounce usage

Pounce usage

Old 10-02-2020, 02:07 PM

Default Pounce usage

I recently purchased a stencil for fmq that is used with a pounce pad and I’m having trouble seeing the markings when the design is under the needle. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:46 PM

I went crazy with stencils and pounce pads when making my first attempts at FMQ. Never could get the hang of it and not being able to see the markings was one of many problems. As you wrestle a large quilt through your domestic machine the marks rub off. I seem to remember finding a suggestion about setting with hairspray but I didn’t like the sound of that.....plus didn’t own any hairspray

All my gear is stuffed in a box and at some point I will likely donate it to the thrift store.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:29 PM

I haven't used pounce very often....but I remember it needs to be used only in the immediate area being worked as it tends to disappear. And I seem to remember that you can get it in different colors. So having a couple of colors on hand could help
Old 10-02-2020, 05:38 PM

Just read about another tip. I haven't tried it. But the tip was to slightly dampen the quilt top....then place the stencil...then apply the chalk with a foam paint brush....said it stuck better and was not as messy...
Old 10-02-2020, 05:47 PM

If you decide to use hair spray to keep pounce chalk more intact, be sure to get one without any silicon, etc--a cheap spray like Aqua Net and use a light spray. Even then you can't mark a whole lot of space as it does get rubbed off under the needle with DSM or bounced off on the long arm.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:22 AM

I tried a couple of colors but have the same issue with both. 🙁 I wonder of dampening the quilt will make the powder smear? So disappointing because I really like the stencil and was hoping to get some quilts finished.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:06 AM

I have chalk and a pad and lots of stencils that came to me when my sister-in-law passed away. Never used it. Now I am wondering if I should or if I should rise to the challenge and give it a try. Thanks for the post, questions,and comments.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:36 AM

Getting your pounce pad ready really is key. It takes awhile, is not where you just fill it up and go with it. I have pink, blue, and white. They do work best with the stencils designed for them, but will work for others too.

I have vision issues and seeing lines on fabric is often very challenging for me no matter what color I use. For intricate quilting patterns on my busy multiple color scrap quilts, I am often quilting through paper. Yes, you have to take extra steps but to get the results I want sometimes this is what I have to do.

I buy rolls of parchment paper at the dollar store, $1 for 1x25 roll. I will buy a pantograph or other pattern and trace it on to the paper and then safety pin the paper to top and quilt through all. Then you have to remove the paper, a popsicle stick can be a great help but yeah, it takes time and makes a mess. If you use a standard pencil and white thread, you can have some issues with graphite coming off into the white thread, you can use a harder lead or other techniques to avoid that.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:26 PM

I sometimes use pounce..years ago we used to spray it with hair spray because the pounce rubbed off..now I use pounce, then take a chalk pencil and trace the design, takes longer bit so much less frustrating.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:12 AM

I like the concept because it gives spacing and design help. Just need to see the design 😁