Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 306K servicing, cleaning >

Singer 306K servicing, cleaning

Singer 306K servicing, cleaning

Old 10-18-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Singer 306K servicing, cleaning

Hi all,
I have recently acquired a 306K which is still in great shape. Everything turns well and even better after I oiled and lightly greased (tri-flow) the worm gears.

However, I noticed that the bevel gears driving the hook shaft, although turns freely, had very gunky old greased embedded in the gear teeth. After very long googling managed to download a PDF service manual, which illustrates how to remove the hook shaft. I have removed the six screws which holds the shaft but not able to twist the shaft to the left (as instructed by the service manual). I am just wondering if there are any other things I need to do in order to remove this shaft. The manual is very hard to read, and instructions are not as detailed as those for the 201K. So not sure if this is due to the fact that the old grease is preventing the shaft from coming out. Also, does anyone know how the bevel gear is connected to this shaft? There's also not instruction on how to fully disassemble the hook/ bobbin case holder either (instructions similar to something like the Adjuster's manual for the 201). I'd really like to fully clean this out.

Thank you kindly.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:02 PM

Before you go further, consider replacing those screws. Since the gears turn freely, removing the old grease can be done tooth at a time with a tool shaped like a dental pick.
I once started to disassemble a Singer 128, because I didn't know how to free it up. I realized I would never get it reassembled, and passed it on. Turns out, it needed much less intervention than I realized. Also, taking things apart often leads to unintended consequences with timing.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:49 PM

You could join the groups.io for more technical advice. There is a few repair guys there that know this model well. You can get lucky with info on this site to though. I have never done extensive disassembly on machines, but in cases of stuck grease in hard to reach places I have used oil to flush it out. I know these gears are suppose to be greased, but where there is no chance of mess or spill into motor or electrical parts it doesn't do any harm. The early 201 manuals with out potted motor call for oil on all three sets of meshing gears. Are you sure the turing parts near the bobbin case, race and hook on the 301 take grease? I have found detailed help on youtube tutorials, and if you are lucky, this guy can give a few hints. You have to search up his full series on the 301 though. If you are very capable on the mechanical side you can go for more extensive work, but you probably get the same result with spray can oils, in stubbor cases flushing out with degreasers, but in most cases a light basic oil will clean out old dried up dirt and grease with repeated applications and wiping off. With a bit of frequent maintanance a machine like this usually cleans up flawlessly.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-19-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 01:15 PM

Sorry, for some reason I jumped to the conclusion it was about a 301, and I can't correct it by now, but the groups.io is still a good place to find advanced technical advice, and I personally still go for flushing out old grease and grime when possible. As you well know, with this model you have to take care and not get anything on the timing belt. A 306 is one of those models that respond very well to repated applications of oil, grease, moving all levers, knobs and a bit of test sewing.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-19-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:09 PM

Thanks WIChix and Mickey2 for your responses. Much appreciated.

I'm certainly going to give the picking the gears a go and also look up on groups.io.