Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how many fabrics are in a charm pack? >

how many fabrics are in a charm pack?

how many fabrics are in a charm pack?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:17 AM

Default how many fabrics are in a charm pack?

I am considering making a pattern that calls for two charm packs, but I am going to cut my own fabric. I am trying to figure out how may different fabrics to use. I googled and found out that normally there are 42 charms in a pack, all fabrics from one designer's line, and that some of the pieces might be duplicates or maybe even triplicates.

I realize I could use whatever number of fabrics I want, but I am trying to figure out a starting point. I will be making 144 HST. (The pattern is Blitzen by Basicgrey.). One half of each HST will be white. The other half might very well be various purple fabrics.

I was thinking 18 different fabrics...or maybe just 9. I think the pattern is designed to be scrapy, but that isn't really my cup of tea.

So, there is my question and the reason I am asking it. How many fabrics are in a charm pack?

Thanks for any of your thoughts.

Dina
Old 11-17-2020, 07:22 AM

I have made or bought packs with 42 and 50. Much depends on the manufacture the standard today is 42 5" squares. I would do your measurements from a pack of 42.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:26 AM

I agree with Julia's assessment.

It can hard to believe that there was once life without pre-cuts and that "charm" especially as a 5" size is a new thing. Charm used to be a term used to describe when each piece was unique. I do many quilts that would be considered charm as well as many that are considered scrappy, but very few based on a 5" precut.

I'd be looking at that 144 number and breaking it down, for me the minimum number of fabrics I would want would be 12 each for 12 pieces. I prefer typically to be no more than 4 pieces any given fabric, but that's just me. I also look at the fabrics I want to use and make some rough determinations on what I have.

With a fat quarter being roughly 18x22 that would give you 3 rows of 4 = 12. So you would need 12 fat quarters.

Sadly rows don't cut so well, you should be able to get 8 per row. Which would be a row and a half, or that turns into 18 rows to cut the full total with just 8 each.

When I was doing a lot of swapping around Y2K we settled in the 10" block size now known as layer cake as being very convenient for all of us. Cutting 10" squares into 4ths means 36 of them.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Actually - sets of 5-inch squares were sold over thirty years ago. They were not called "charm packs" back then.

I would do as some others have suggested - collect the fabrics you want to use - and then cut the pieces as you would usually do.
Assuming you have a stash.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:53 AM

The number of different fabrics in a charm pack is quite variable. Some are all the same fabric, while many are a variety depending on how many fabrics were in that line. I've gotten some that had near 40 different fabrics (grunge line) and others that had a lot less - with getting only one of some of the fabrics and two or three of another.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:02 AM

Okay, thanks everyone for the information. I do have a stash and will be cutting from it. I have started stacking fabrics that I like and will see what I end up with. I am going to cut ten inch squares, as I can made 8 HST easily with that number. My figures tell me I will need 18 white ten inch squares and 18 purple ten inch squares. I am not cutting anything until I have checked my math a few more times.

Dina
Old 11-17-2020, 09:06 AM

Bear is correct of course, there were packs of square you could get, they were usually in Dry Goods stores or 5&Dime, or in fabric stores next to the premarked embroidery squares, or even in the back of magazines. I had a thrift store find quilt that was a pack or two of bright 70s posies.

But pre-cuts as we know them now are largely from the last 20 years.

edit: PS, Dina your math does sound better to me. I was counting squares and not triangles so I think you are right on the money!
Old 11-17-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Okay, thanks everyone for the information. I do have a stash and will be cutting from it. I have started stacking fabrics that I like and will see what I end up with. I am going to cut ten inch squares, as I can made 8 HST easily with that number. My figures tell me I will need 18 white ten inch squares and 18 purple ten inch squares. I am not cutting anything until I have checked my math a few more times.

Dina
I like your approach to the problem. It's a faster way to make your HSTs, and you get 18 different fabrics. That should give you a nice variety.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:50 PM

nothing to add, Dina, except while reading your OP I had to grin when you said it would be lights with purples! Totally you!
Old 11-18-2020, 03:50 AM

I just had to look at the pattern, then I giggled. It is a "Barn Raising" which is my favorite pattern. I make it often and there is one laying across the end of my bed at this moment. have fun with the pattern and don't over worry about the number of individual fabrics. They will blend beautifully in the lay out.