Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snow bird help: what to bring? >

Snow bird help: what to bring?

Snow bird help: what to bring?

Old 12-01-2020, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

What kind of help does/will your relative need/ expect?
How much free time will you actually have?
WIll you have your "own" space while there?
Have you considered hand- piecing projects instead of machine sewing them?
Are you planning/hoping to bring " everything" you need with you? Almost with an assumption that "nothing" will be available/accessible once you get there?

Old 12-01-2020, 01:32 PM

Maybe a folding table to sew on.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:25 PM

I’m sure there will be a little time during the day and certainly time at night and on weekends. There are some stores around. I can always buy what I’m missing. We have room to bring some of my stuff. I would like to bring my machine. There probably won’t be a place to keep my machine setup and I will have to transport it from where we sleep to where we work.

i think I’m going to have to choose projects beforehand and bring the appropriate fabric and rulers with me.

well you’ve given me a lot of information. Thanks, I’ve started a list.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:14 PM

I usually go to a friend's home in AZ to have a private quilting retreat. The week before I leave I have a box/basket I throw items in that I want to have when I am in AZ. Luckily Amazon is a quilter's best friend - items can be ordered and delivered in a few days. I can't imagine planning out a 6 month trip, so knowing there are stores around, I wouldn't worry about missing a couple items. And I agree with the idea of buying a machine when I got there is I could not take mine in a car with me. I don't trust luggage handlers and or delivery people at UPS/USPS/FedEx, etc. Also, If you have it professionally packed that will cost an arm and a leg.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:41 AM

I agree with everyone about the iron which is what I noticed you didn't list. When I go for any length of time on the road, I put each project with fabric, pattern, needle and thread, small scissors in a container. Then it is all ready to pull out and start on a project. I would be very skeptical to ship a sewing machine-especially if it is computerized. Do you have a feather weight? It would be small enough for you to travel with if you are driving.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:01 AM

don't forget the power cord for your machine, ott lamp, ripper, and spray bottle, oil for machine, extra bobbins, do you use readers when sewing?
Old 12-02-2020, 11:17 AM

Iron...I bought a small travel iron, palm size. Just love it. Rarely, and I mean rarely, do I use the other iron. Found mine at Walmart for under 15.00. Small, compact, and really gets hot. Only down size...no auto shut off.

After reading other posts, just a different perspective. Prioritize what you bring. I wouldn't bring anything I knew I could buy locally. Remember, storage area for your sewing machine can hold a lot of sewing notions.