Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mini Iron - Like it or Hate it? >

Mini Iron - Like it or Hate it?

Mini Iron - Like it or Hate it?

Old 12-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Default Mini Iron - Like it or Hate it?

I was thinking of purchasing a mini iron like you see in many of the quilting tutorials on you tube but wasn't sure how useful it would be or if it was just another one of those quilting items that look really cool at first but in reality not as good as it appears. For those of you who purchased one, do you like it? hate it? pros? cons?
Old 12-09-2020, 12:34 PM

I like the Dritz iron best. The Oliso has a weird grip for my hand and sometimes gets really hot. I also just purchased a Steamfast and haven't used it enough to comment about it. I keep the iron next to my machine to press seams when I'm sewing. Like it.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:49 PM

I also have a steamfast mini iron. I use mine dry all the time. I love it.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:53 PM

Thank you, bneuen and mmunchkins. That is encouraging! I thought I might enjoy one. Will have to now look at the different brands.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

I have the Clover Wedge mini iron, it feel more like a iron. I have the Steam Fast and it's nice but has a grip handle. I haven't tried the new Reliable mini iron that is getting good reviews. Any are handy to have next to your machine.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:04 PM

The SteamFast iron is the bomb! I leave it on a wool pressing matt next to my machine. It is wonderful to press components before assembly into a block. I use a big iron for yardage, but the SteamFast is my go to iron for blocks. I also have a clover mini-iron, the tiny one with an assortment of wedge sizes. I used it for components before the SteamFast. The problem with it is that it gets too hot and there is no easy way to store it next to my machine, it rarely gets used.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stitches23 View Post
I was thinking of purchasing a mini iron like you see in many of the quilting tutorials on you tube but wasn't sure how useful it would be or if it was just another one of those quilting items that look really cool at first but in reality not as good as it appears. For those of you who purchased one, do you like it? hate it? pros? cons?
Love my mini Steadfast!
Only 12.00 at Walmart
Syl
Old 12-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Funny you should ask! I recently started using my mini iron for no good reason except that I decided it would be handier. Well it was handy but then I had to use my regular iron for something else and went back to it. What a difference! I am doing a quilt with 16 pieces for a 12" block. So there was a lot of pressing and as far as I am concerned there is no comparison between the two when you are pressing different pieces for a block. It's like you said when you see someone else using it looks like it would be great and you feel like you are missing something. Sometimes you just gave to try it yourself--only telling you my experience.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:28 PM

I'm on the Steamfast band wagon too. Just love it. Only use the BIG IRON if pressing yardage. Keep my misting bottle near by incase have to get fab moist. Bought it at Wal-mart. Confession...if DH and I find something we really love and we go back to get another, many times item is no longer available. So, DH went back to Walmart and bought 3 more! I gave him a big hug and kiss when he gave me he bag.!!!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:16 PM

I *hate* the clover mini iron. Have burned myself on that dang thing so many times. I bought the Dritz Petite Press and love it so much, I bought a backup just in case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dritz.png
Views:	68
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	630238  

Last edited by Peckish; 12-09-2020 at 11:20 PM.