Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bias Tape Maker >

Bias Tape Maker

Bias Tape Maker

Old 12-26-2020, 06:12 AM

Default Bias Tape Maker

Has anyone used this kit? It includes a foot attachment.
I was searching such kits because I will be doing a lot of bib binding for expected grandbabies.

https://love-sew.com/products/love-s...tape-maker-kit
Old 12-26-2020, 06:20 AM

I've had the bias tape makers for years but rarely ever use them. I also have the special foot for my machine, purchased separately, still haven't used it. Don't know why, just haven't. Sorry I can't be of more help. The bias tape pieces do work as I remember using them years ago, just need to keep your fingers out of the way of the iron as the metal can get hot.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:42 AM

It looks like a good deal but I think if you would only use one or two sizes it wouldn't be worth it. I think it would be better just to buy the size you need. My friend ordered this kit and only uses one size and has no need for the foot.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:45 AM

I have used a similar product from Clover to make bias tape. It works well, though it isn’t quite as fast as the videos show! I got better results with starching my tape before cutting it. I haven’t used a foot like the one shown though. I imagine it would work just fine if it fits your machine. I have used a Sensui (so?) brand binding tool a number of times on children’s garments and an adult hem or two. It attaches to the bed of the sewing machine and folds the tape immediately before sewing it to the item.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:09 AM

I used a foot like that when making masks. It worked very well. I didn’t have the things that folded but worked out another method. I was surprised at how easy it was to get the tape sewn on perfectly in one easy step.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:47 AM

I have all the bias tape makers but rarely use them. I have gone to making my bias tape with my Accuquilt system.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:20 AM

For the price i would give it a try. I know that the foot will not fit my bernina
Old 12-26-2020, 09:47 AM

I have the Clover Bias makers and use them for stems or curves, but not for outside bindings on my quilts. I hadn't seen that foot, so googled it and watched a youtube on the Adjustable Bias Binder Foot #32 from Madam Sews Ultimate Presser Foot Set. It looked interesting, but I think it would have a learning curve....I also noted she attached the binding to a single piece of fabric in her sample, not to a quilt sandwich, so wonder how difficult it would be to wrangle the whole thing.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you so much for the replies. Along with my daughter who at 33 has her first sewing machine, I plan on making a lot of bibs, etc that need binding. My first attempt was okay, but had trouble that I hope this little kit will remedy. I find myself focusing on making many of an item once I get the hang of it...ie: 33 microwave cozies for Christmas presents using a template to cut and mark. I felt like the template was a big help in staying consistent. So...I will try the kit. Not sure where to order it. Love.Sew seems good, but I saw it, or ones much like it, for way lower prices.

Sew on...pat
Old 12-26-2020, 10:36 AM

I have used the tape makers for purse straps, etc. I haven't used the specialty foot though. I cut the strips about 1/8 inch shorter than instructed. The fabric is easier to go through the slots. Yes, starch is good for this technique.

Go to the 20 minute mark to see a quick and easy way to make tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA41A5dBi70