Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tiresome 'how to quilt' question. Lurker apologies. >

Tiresome 'how to quilt' question. Lurker apologies.

Tiresome 'how to quilt' question. Lurker apologies.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:46 PM

Default Tiresome 'how to quilt' question. Lurker apologies.

It's me again! From loooong ago ~ =-))

Trying to sort out UFOs . . . ugh, the struggle is real. My sister has the placemats for this, and I thought -- hey!! Here comes February, let's start with this table runner. And WOW - I had a lot of progress made. My excitement dwindled as I realized why it became a UFO. The 'how to quilt' question. I can do the orange peel really well. But I don't think that one works for this. That empty space. . . . . . . Sigh.

How in the world can I finish this? And then, the quickest and easiest of those ways? I use vintage machines - no long arm skill here. I did utilize the internet buffet of knowledge, but found myself quickly overwhelmed. =/.

Thanks!
Lara
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	heart placemat 1.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	630950   Click image for larger version

Name:	heart placemat 2.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	630951   Click image for larger version

Name:	heart placemat 3.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	630952  
Old 01-10-2021, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I would do cross hatch quilting. Simple and easy. I find close hatch looks great for any table topper. The quilting pops when it's below eye level.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:12 PM

I just counted and measured my flimsy quilts count is 5 I also got the backing matched up with the quilts I have one waiting to put on my longarm and get quilted. Thats about all I can get done today except for supper.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Orange peel works well using the seams as a guide. You can do orange peel in the smaller squares and a different size in the bigger squares or divide the bigger squares into quarters and do an orange peel in each.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:36 PM

I would take it apart, tape down the backing on a table or floor. lay down the batting, smooth out, lay down the top, and safety pin every 2-3 " everywhere. Use painter tape, then quit your design, wear quilting gloves. Gives a better grip on the fabric. I really like the heart square.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:40 PM

I would take out the current pins and glue baste it together. There are a number of You-tube videos on Glue basting. After I re-baste the placemats I would cross hatch quilt. Since it is a placemat I would quilt 1" to 11/2" apart. Keeping it simple is sometimes the best way to start.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:21 PM

For my FMQ, I can do a decent meander or loop de loops, for straight line quilting, I usually do a grid pattern, that's the extent of my talent. LOL I can't do stitch in the ditch. LOL These are my choices. LOL
Old 01-11-2021, 07:27 AM

These are fantastic suggestions. I knew I'd have to take it apart, but using tape wouldn't have occurred to me! Great tip ~

Now the 'work' will be visualizing these ideas on it!! I'm terrible at that ~ lol

Thanks tons you guys!
L
Old 01-11-2021, 05:18 PM

Anytime you have large spaces without other piecing (negative space) it helps to break it down into smaller sections by quilting a channel to divide it (a good channel size is anywhere from 2 1/4" ones side by side, or a larger 1/2" one with maybe 1/4" ones on either side) this breaks up the space into more manageable spaces to do other types of FMQ or ruler work or even crosshatching.