Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Issues >

Free Motion Quilting Issues

Free Motion Quilting Issues

Old 01-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Mitch ... I see that MKC has already given you some links.
How did you make out with the boxes around your machine and extension table? Some have done similar using the rigid styrofoam insulation pieces, cut to size, covering them with a plastic tablecloth or clear plastic/vinyl that you buy by the yard.

Another possibility, if by chance you have an extension table that when pulled out, has somewhat of a shelf ... some have opened the table and set their machine on it. Then custom cut the filler board for the table to allow for the machine to set into it. Not sure if that makes sense? Or have taken a desk altering to allow a machine to set into it, and the desk surface to be your full table surface instead of your extension table.

Silicone spray on whatever surface you end up with, will help make things more slippery for your quilt to move a little easier as you work. Caution though .... overspray onto a hard floor surface can make it slip-sidey for humans, and the four legged ones who think they are human!!!
Old 01-22-2021, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure if you are dropping the feed dogs if not you might want to try that or if you are dropping them you might want to try it with them up. I was always doing all the right steps and dropping the feed dogs but it was not working. Then another quilter told me to leave the feed dogs up and off I went. My machine is a Janome.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:21 PM

Thank you for so many helpful suggestions. I will try everything I can that will work in my teeny tiny NY apartment. I haven't been able to sit in front of my project again for a few days and won't sew again until next week. But when I do, I will refer back to this thread.

If you have time to talk about your favorite brands and/or weights for FMQ, I'm all ears!

So grateful.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:40 PM

I use Aurifil 50 wt for piecing and quilting. I do FMQ on my domestic machine. I use a neutral color thread for piecing, black only for black fabric. Colors to blend in for quilting. I have used a clear monofilament for an art quilt wall hanging.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:24 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
If you have time to talk about your favorite brands and/or weights for FMQ, I'm all ears!
My #1 for FMQ on a domestic is Isacord 50 wt. polyester. My #2 is Aurifil 50/3 cotton. I use a 90/14 needle with both of these, and my favorite needles are Schmetz.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:48 AM

I have read about placing the spool of thread according to the way it’s wrapped. I have it placed vertically, but down on the table and up through the gizmo that places more distance from the spool to the threading mechanisms because I read that that helps prevent twisting of the thread. That actually causes the thread to unwind off the top of the spool instead of the side. I will try moving the spool up on the spindle on the machine. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2021, 04:54 AM

Thank you! I have a second project that has a good sized painted appliqué and I want to use mono-poly and a blind hem stitch. It’s my first time using it and I’m a little fearful of it. I will practice first but are there any . 😬
Old 01-24-2021, 04:55 AM

Thank you! I have a second project that has a good sized painted appliqué and I want to use mono-poly and a blind hem stitch. It’s my first time using it and I’m a little fearful of it. I will practice first but are there any tension tips or tricks I should know?. 😬
Old 01-24-2021, 02:11 PM

I bought that machine about 20 years ago, I think it had just been released. At the time there was an online group for it where I learned much about FMQ and that machine. The one piece of advice I never forgot came from a Brother tech via a member on the group. He advised for FMQ use a Stretch needle, they are ball point, meant for knits but have a longer scarf where the thread lays.
I have done that ever since, it makes a world of difference, I highly recommend it. Rarely a skipped stitch or shredding and if it starts to do that I know my needle has gotten too dull so put in a new needle. Can't say enough praise for the Stretch Needle & FMQ.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:39 PM

Is your thread in the take-up lever? Is you lift down? down? If you answered no to either question. You will have these issues.
Remember too,, if your machine sews just fine when sewing a straight seam, your problem is NOT a tension issue...so don't mess with your tension.