Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Custom Paints Jobs- Let's Discuss >

Custom Paints Jobs- Let's Discuss

Custom Paints Jobs- Let's Discuss

Old 02-14-2021, 05:16 PM

Default Custom Paints Jobs- Let's Discuss

Sooo. I'm thinking of getting a custom paint job on one of my machines, and if I can get it going, getting a collaboration going with a car painter (automotive finish technician??) so I can leave the prepped machine at his shop, and when he paints a car the color I want, he can do the machine at the same time, to save on the color change mess. Because I'm thinking if I just want him to paint my little sewing machine, he will look at me like I'm nuts, and then charge me $1000. Which would kind of be a deal breaker for me, lol.

So, go ahead and tell me what you think of this idea. My feelings can't be hurt, and none of you have my address, so you can't sent the little men in the white coats.

Also, if you have done anything like this, dooooo telllll.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:28 AM

The painted ones sell for big bucks on Ebay.. I'm not sure about the $1,000, but it would probably cost that much if you had the sewing machine painters do it. When I thought about it, the deal breaker was taking off all the chrome/metal parts. Somehow, I didn't think I'd ever get it back together. I called the sewing machine shop and he said $200. to take it apart and $200 to put it back together (more if he wasn't the one to take it apart). That cooled my jets.

If you'll search, you'll find several sewing machine painters online.

bkay

edit: If you are good at searching QB, there are some threads about people who painted their's themselves.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:22 AM

Sent mine out to be painted by someone who has a business painting sewing machines a couple of years ago. They charged $450 at that time and did a beautiful job. I know an autoshop would do a great paint job, but would you have to disassemble it and put it back together? Or would they be able to do that for you?
The painter did all the disassembly and reassemble as well for that price.

Last edited by Pam S; 02-15-2021 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-15-2021, 07:01 AM

Paint away! If you plan to sew with a repainted machine, I would consider a color that doesn't add to eye strain. I've always thought the Cadillac pearl white would be be elegant and easy on the eyes, unless, of course, I'm sewing with a white or off white.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:18 AM

I bought all 3 of mine already painted, and I so love them! sorry can't be any help.