Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Converted Singer 99 to a Handcrank >

Converted Singer 99 to a Handcrank

Converted Singer 99 to a Handcrank

Old 02-13-2021, 12:01 AM

Try look these two video:https://youtu.be/ANGMzI52QGM
https://youtu.be/wns65BW4ZPM
Old 02-14-2021, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Reginaromsey View Post
How did you unlock your 99k? I was recently given one that seems in perfect shape, no rust, no thread and fluff. However the hand wheel is locked, it only moves with force. The problem seems to be in the arm beyond the wheel. I can get the wheel off, but from there no screw moves with any torque I am able to apply. I’ve used oil, penetrating oil, but no luck. The local sewing store charges over $100 just to look at it. Hands on care is very extra.
Any ideas?
Mine was unlocked, and I accidentally locked it up while cleaning the finish. I dripped high test isopropyl alcohol in the little oil holes on top next to the spool holder. It went from turning effortlessly to hardly turning. Haha, whoops. So, I put more alcohol in til it turned easily, and then started dripping in SMO. There's also a hole on the side of the upright under the handwheel, that's covered by the attachment for the motor or the crank. You may also have to go up from the bottom. I can't remember which one worked, or if it was all of them. It's the first time I've ever *made* the machine freeze up before I unfroze it. I've always gotten them already dead, lol.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:16 PM

Got it! Thanks to videos recommended here!

thanks!
Old 02-27-2021, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Reginaromsey View Post
How did you unlock your 99k? I was recently given one that seems in perfect shape, no rust, no thread and fluff. However the hand wheel is locked, it only moves with force. The problem seems to be in the arm beyond the wheel. I can get the wheel off, but from there no screw moves with any torque I am able to apply. I’ve used oil, penetrating oil, but no luck. The local sewing store charges over $100 just to look at it. Hands on care is very extra.
Any ideas?
Deep cleaning and multiple doses of PB Blaster.

The needle bar was completely locked up on mine. I removed the face place and placed a rag under the presser foot area to absorb any oil drips. And every day for about a week, I would spray PB blaster on it when I walked past the machine. Eventually, it broke loose. You can also spray other areas on the machine the same way depending on where it is locking up.