Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--Feb 12-15, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Feb 12-15, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend--Feb 12-15, 2021

Old 02-14-2021, 07:25 PM

I love seeing all the things that are being worked on this VQW. I finally got all the string blocks for the border of a quilt top. I did trim down one side border and sewed sections together. Repeat for the other 3 sides and attach to top. Starting early!
Old 02-15-2021, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Amazing chicken pin cushion. Mine were very simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EcK...zo30dP&index=9

I got the pattern from Lisa Pay, she's an illustrator, professional dog-groomer that lives in Australia and her hobby is soft sculptor. Be forewarned if you go check out her tutorial for this chicken, she makes all of her patterns free and she's got a whole line of pincushions; vintage camper, vintage telephone, the chicken, a mannequin and even a vintage sewing machine! That's what got me hooked on her and I subscribed to her channel. I've got about eight of her patterns printed off, fiancé joked that he was going to have to make another shelf just for my pincushions, I told him to hurry up and get it done because if she keeps coming up with pincushions, I will end up with her entire collection.

She recommends felt with all of her work, but you can use fabric. Her patterns are easy to follow, I made that chicken in two days but if I hadn't had the migraine, I could have gotten it done in an afternoon. I've lost my quilting sew-jo, but she's keeping me busy at the sewing machine until that comes back.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:32 AM

I fell asleep last night and didn't get to post these. I got several stencilled and the forms made. I started a thread awhile ago inquiring about outdoor fabric and protection for using home decor fabric outside. Hobby Lobby has out door fabric at a very reasonable price. I went Saturday while their 30% off sale was still available. It is wonderful to work with. And I also bought Scotchgard sun and waterproof spray, for when I use home decor fabric. Thank you to all that responded to my previous thread, this board rocks.
Thank you Heather for hosting. I look forward to this every month. I love reading through the post and seeing and hearing about everyone's progress and projects. I could almost hear the distant him of all the sewing machines working this weekend.😀
img_20210215_045903277.jpgimg_20210215_052107220_hdr.jpg

Last edited by Quiltah Mama; 02-15-2021 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Add more information
Old 02-15-2021, 04:57 AM

Railroadersbrat, thanks for that link. I love all of her pincushions!

Quiltah Mama, your pillows are beautiful!

I'll have to read through the thread to see what everyone else is doing. Me? I'm not making anything this weekend. I'm setting up and learning how to sew on my new, industrial machine. I'll be back at it next month. I have so many projects in the wings....augh!!!
Old 02-15-2021, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Wow, lots of sewing happening this VQW! Here's what I've been helping with... the cabinets were 80s oak - but in pretty good condition and they are painting up beautifully. The previous floor was 8" tile - this is such a change!
Beautiful! You're like me...one foot in the sewing room and one foot on the job site...LOL. The guys just finished drywalling our new, cottage in town. After painting, then come the floors. We're doing something similar. It looks a lot like that, only it's a ceramic tile and all gray, like driftwood. Sorry, I don't have a pic.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:44 AM

Finished! More to be be posted over on UFO thread.
thanks for the VQW!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210215_093254114_HDR.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	631698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210215_093627221.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	631699  
Old 02-15-2021, 08:15 AM

Everyone was so productive and love seeing everyones projects! Seems that the quilting gods decided no sewing for me so I only got a few things done on my Grassy Creek, thats ok, its always best to be flexible and just go with the flow.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:19 AM

I worked on a small UFO and it is all done except for the facing, which I have cut out. I just needed a little break from the sewing machine. Unfortunately, I am unable to get some of the blue marker out....I think it stained the wool batting. I'll keep wetting it. Maybe it will come out.
So nice to see what everyone is working on!
Watson

Name:	gems.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	631706  
Old 02-15-2021, 12:28 PM

Ready to be quilted tomorrow after I cleanup. It's flannel and the blue has little white polka dots. Accomplished what I wanted to this VQW! That's Raggiemom for hosting! Got me moving again.

Name:	20210215_145636 (10).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	631711  
Old 02-15-2021, 01:14 PM

I love that pincushion! I might have to make 1 (or more).
I sewed up the flannel lap quilt I designed yesterday. I have it basted and ready to quilt...now to decide how to quilt it.

DD sewed up a quilt top this morning. We will have to go shopping for backing. She likes the minky I just used on my project, but I told her she was in charge of hand quilting it if she went that route.

I might want to buy some red thread to have a higher contrast quilting this time.