Singer 99K locked up

Old 02-13-2021, 02:20 PM

Default Singer 99K locked up

I was recently given a 99K, made in Great Britain that seems in perfect shape, no rust, no thread and fluff. However the hand wheel is locked, it only moves with force. The problem seems to be in the arm beyond the wheel. I can get the wheel off, but from there no screw moves with any torque I am able to apply. I’ve used oil, penetrating oil, but no luck. The local sewing store charges over $100 just to look at it. Hands on care is very extra.
Any ideas?
Old 02-13-2021, 07:15 PM

Evidently, you didn't see Converted Singer 99 to a Handcrank It sounds like the needle bar or possible some of the underside moving parts have varnished/glued oil stopping it. It could also be a thread stuck somewhere you can't see. A manual can be found at the bottom of the results seen at https://www.singer.com/search/support?title=99

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 02-14-2021, 05:35 PM

Also, check under the needle plate and around the bobbin case. There was a TON of really old, old fluff under mine. And something as little as one thread can be the thing that jams a machine.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:02 PM

No, I hadn’t seen those two video’s and they gave me the confidence to take the wheel off, apply a pair of locking pliers and more gentle rocking force than I was confident about. More oil and wiggling did the trick! I was particularly surprised because the needle bar and other workings were so clean that I didn’t expect any gum up there.
Thank you very much!
Old 02-15-2021, 11:12 PM

Default Singer 99 Lockup

All ready to sew except for needle clamp.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:13 PM

Did you find a needle clamp yet??