sewing machines

Old 02-27-2021, 08:35 AM

Default sewing machines

What type or kind of sewing machine do you recommend for someone starting out and for making quilts?
Old 02-27-2021, 09:33 AM

I would ago to a dealer that has a number of different machines that you can try out. We have a shop not to far from me that has a number of different brands and models to play with. You should look to a dealer and play. The choice is always going to be what makes you comfortable and fits in your price range. I always look at used machine that have been refirbed by a dealer to same $$. Have fun trying everything out.
My own choices have been a good vintage machine. I love working with a Feather Weight machine, but they are not so good for managing a real large quilt. I also have an older Singer that works great.

Last edited by juliasb; 02-27-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

You're really asking two different questions. Someone starting out just needs a machine that will be easy to use and reliable. I started out with my older (but not vintage) Singer. An inexpensive machine from a big box store will do fine until the new quilter decides to continue with the craft. That's when he or she may want to look at machines with more features, a wider throat, a better cabinet, etc. The original inexpensive machine won't go to waste. (We all need a backup machine.) Choosing the right machine for a serious quilter is an individual decision.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:03 PM

I agree with dunster, an older machine is easy to service and all metal, versus a new machine, which nowadays is mostly plastic, and if you want a new machine without spending a fortune, Janome's and Brother's have a fairly good reputation, even on the low end, personally I would buy one of those brands versus a new Singer, which in my own opinion are pieces of junk.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:16 PM

I totally agree with others that a good, sound used machine (mechanical not electronic) is a great place for a beginner to start. I have a collection of Singer machines from 1926 through the early 60s (my white featherweight) and they are all wonderful. I,also have two Pfaff 1473 machines that are mechanical (the 1475 started going computer). Other brands of such machines are also great. While the computerized machines can do lots of things, the mechanical machines are real workhorses. But I would definitely steer way clear of any Singer machines made in the last 40-50 years (just my opinion!!) as I think they are just plain junk. Lots of plastic innerds that can go bad and with no replacement. Check out your local dealers to see what they have. The earlier Berninas are also terrific - wish I had bought ine years ago just to have (I own a 440qe and a 350pe right now). I’ve heard from friends hiw they wish they had kept their older machines when upgrading,

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 02-27-2021, 06:29 PM

totally agree with Dunster. I bought my daughter a $90 Walmart Brother--few stitchs, can drop the feed dogs and we have Free Motion Quilted with it, can buy a walking foot if it doesn't come with it, does just fine and light weight enough that you can use it as your class/travel machine if you do that. then if you get addicted to quilting, you can later step up to a computerized that has needle up/down, speed control, etc features. (and a much bigger price tag!) Welcome to quilting!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:23 AM

I agree that a mechanical is good for starting out but they are usually heavy. so I have a newer one for taking to classes .
Old 02-28-2021, 04:30 AM

Not sure how fancy you want to get with your stitching. My Bernina 830 is over 40 years old and came with a lifetime guarantee. Only time it is in the shop is to be cleaned and oiled. I didn't use the auto stitches much, but now I do and want more choices. Look on Craigslist for deals if you know what you want! I bought my second machine ever recently when DH spotted an industrial Bernina for under $700 that had been used less than 10 hours. I do love him!
If you want to dip your toe in, Walmart sells some machines for around $100, which is the beginner I purchased for DD.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by beezee54 View Post
What type or kind of sewing machine do you recommend for someone starting out and for making quilts?
I started out witha low end brother 20 years ago. I upgraded 10 years later but still continue to use my walmart brother. i do prefer my computerized walmart brother to my mechanical low end brother. it handles thicker seams better
Old 03-10-2021, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

Brother 1500 are good to start out with and use later. 9" throat space is nice too.