Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grace Cutie Frame and Juki DX 1500 QVP >

Grace Cutie Frame and Juki DX 1500 QVP

Grace Cutie Frame and Juki DX 1500 QVP

Old 03-16-2021, 08:19 PM

If you are asking about The Grace Company's Cutie Frame vs their Q-Zone Hoop Frame, I understand the Q-zone has a larger foot print and know it runs $1200+ vs the Cutie (under $700 on sale right now). What Hoop frame are you thinking about?

In my space-challenged house I find the Cutie's portability and the prospect of putting-it-on-any-table-large-enough appealing--it means I can break it down and store it and the table in the basement when the house is full (counting the Covid days until that's possible). The literature says it can even be hung on the wall, not that I have any unclaimed wall space either ;->)

I am with KurmanQuilter--I ordered my Cutie yesterday! I hope it works out and that the major trade off as I now see it--a very narrow quilting area requiring a lot of repositioning of larger bed-size quilts isn't a total pain. For me, it's more a matter of space/portability than the money, but I appreciate saving on both. I find the possibility of quilting a king-sized quilt on a 48" frame really exciting. We will see...

Last edited by frannella; 03-16-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I ordered the Cutie frame and it will be here in May. A LQS here has one set up. I have watched it being loaded with a king size quilt and seen how easy it is to reposition.

I like the price too. It cost me $680 with free shipping. Not a lot invested to recoup the cost saved from the LA doing simple edge to edge. That usually runs me up to a $100 or more per quilt .If I do eight quilts then the frame has paid for itself. I figure any edge to edge wavy line is good for most of the utility quilts I make and the fun quilts for the grands. I can save the fancier quilts for the LA. I am using a Juki TL 98 Q on the frame.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Here is a great video about the cutie frame. How to set it up and take it down and how to load a quilt top on it. Go to hour 6:32:15, it was an all day show event video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yqw...chinesPlus.com
Old 03-21-2021, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

There will soon be legs to attach to make this a stand frame.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:50 PM

I've watched the Cutie frame on YouTube and their video doesn't give much information. The only thing I've found that it will accommodate up to a king quilt though not mentioning or telling me whether it means adjustments of some sort. They also don't note if a stitch regulator on a machine would be needed and I would think it to be brand specific. I'd contact HandiQuilter with my list of questions and get all the answers before I'd ever think about it. I have a frame from DIME. I had seen a demo of the little lightweight one they've come out with and thought it very flimsy. Several ladies at the demo that tried it said the same so I'll stay with what I have which will enable me to do free motion, template/ruler quilting. Just as we had learned and did in the beginning we practiced, practiced, and practiced.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:49 AM
Power Poster

I watched a demo of a king size quilt on the cutie frame at a local shop. it was set on a regular folding table. It is easy to load and move as needed. Unhook it and slide it over as needed. You don't reload the quilt. One thing the person did at the beginning was to baste the quilt top to the batting and backing with one row of straight basting stitching at the very beginning. Easy to do with the machine once it is loaded.

She use a small brother machine to show that any machine would work. The straps are easy to hook and rehook, the snap on fabric holders hold the quilt sandwich tight. She demoed using the laser accessory about $60 with a pentagram design on the cutie frame. The design has to be reduced according to the size of the harp space on the machine. You can buy a stitch regulator if your machine supports it and a speed regulator. No one seemed to need one when trying it out.

It is not a LA but neither is the price or the size. It is what it is and nothing more.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:10 AM

I saw a Grace video today that stated there will be legs for the cutie coming soon.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:40 AM

I’m intrigued with the laser accessory for $60... I have located a used Juki TL 98e that can use the Grace Stitch Regulator or Speed Control. Just working out the final details to get the machine to me.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by TequilaandQuilts View Post
My Cutie frame arrived last week and I have it all out together. It fits beautifully on my table and neatly in my closet.

The drawback? The foot pedal isn’t long enough and the included extension is not compatible. So, I am still planning to purchase a new or used machine. I’m leaning towards the Juki TL 2000qi with a speed control but am on the prowl fir a suitable used machine. In any case, before I get to use it, I have four fleece pullovers and a fleece blanket to make. Those will all be done by the end of April.
I'm using my Juki DX7 with the cutie frame and my pedal cord doesn't reach and the cable isn't compatible for mine, either. However, I contacted The Grace Company and they had me send info about my pedal plug, and they are sending me a cable that should work! I haven't received it yet, but I wasn't expecting them to be so great about it! I did order my frame directly from them; I don't know if that makes a difference but it is worth contacting them!

Last edited by jenadina; 03-28-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:42 AM

Update: After a misfire on purchasing a used machine (FedEx DESTROYED a perfectly good Juki TL 98e), I am up and quilting on my Cutie Frame with a new Juki TL 2010q. The hardest part is getting to know my new machine “Wilma”. Now that Wilma and I are on speaking terms, I am glad I did not purchase a stitch regulator and only got a speed control. Uneven stitches really aren’t happening. The biggest problems I had were needles breaking from trying to go too fast (and improperly installing, I think) and nesting from forgetting to put the foot down. Now that I am no longer breaking needles and have a taped sticky note that says “Put the foot down!” I’m having fun. The quilt I’m working on is a king size and I regard this as a project where I get to know the process and the equipment. I’ve had fun emailing pictures to my quilting friends calling myself a Dorky Doodler for figuring out I can use the machine to write names in cursive. When I start working on my twin size quilts for Project Linus, I intend to use my Gracie Laser with some simple Pantographs or maybe buy the Pattern Perfect Set. Debating on which will be the best way to go.