Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bunk bed quilts >

Bunk bed quilts

Bunk bed quilts

Old 04-11-2021, 05:28 AM

Default Bunk bed quilts

After making both of my granddaughters oversized twin quilts, I found out they now have bunk beds and aren't using their quilts. As they live in Colorado and I'm in Iowa this was a surprise to me! So now I'm thinking I should make them quilts for the bunk beds. Has anyone done this? What size did you end up with? Thank you ladies, you always have all the answers that I need.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:22 AM

Ok, so I’ve made gorgeous quilts for my daughter and both grandsons. The quilts are folded up in the closet. I think she doesn’t want to use them or get them dirty. She wants to save them. I would ask the girls why they aren’t using their quilts before making them another one.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:59 AM

I agree with sewingalltogether...ask if they would like/use a quilt. Sad to spend time, money, energy only to have a quilt stored.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:01 AM

My take on this: I would be inclined to ask if the quilts are too large for the bunk beds. A twin with a healthy drop might be cumbersome on bunks. The mattresses are the same size but the drop requirements might be much smaller.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:25 AM

I also agree with. Sewingitalltogethert
Old 04-11-2021, 08:13 AM

I would frame the question differently....I would not ask if they like their quilts as that puts them in a tight corner. I would instead say "Hey girls, do you want new quilts for your bunk beds? If so, pick out a quilt off Pinterest that you like and we'll chat about a design for you."

It is really hard to second guess tastes, and as the girls grow their tastes are going to change.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:28 AM

sewingitalltogether....the girls are 6 and 3 years old, so I doubt if they have much say in what quilt gets used. Be mindful that i made their last quilts oversized so that it will have plenty of drop on the side....more of a bedspread. Probably should not have done that. They now share a room in a new house and it's a purple room. I'm thinking of simple 5 inch squares in shades of purple, pinks, white and maybe a green. Maybe I'll applique some flowers on them.
It's not the cost I'm worried about...I make charity quilts all the time and give them away....it keeps me busy in retirement and I can afford to do so.
I simply need to know a size to make like 60 x 80 or what? I've never done bunk beds before.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I would think a 6-7" drop might be good. Of course that would change if one side would be tucked in. We had a set of bunk beds many years ago. I only made afghans for them.

I think you might have to ask their Mom to measure the mattresses and add how much drop she wants on each side.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:05 AM

All the ideas are great that have all ready been stated. The only thing I can add is that the kids or mom prefer something else. Try not to get to upset if there is an answer that may not be what you are expecting. Think of the positive side. They will have them for another time all together.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=lindaschipper;8475058.................I simply need to know a size to make like 60 x 80 or what? I've never done bunk beds before.[/QUOTE]

The answer is before you ... simply ask the mother/father for their recommended measurements for a new quilt. I am pretty sure that bunk beds are not one size only, so best to get the accurate information. That way they have the option to say, oh we do not want a quilt or WHY. And might even tell you why the other quilts are shelved.

You mentioned your unused quilts were oversized, which while they may "fit" in your mind, they may be too cumbersome to work with in a bunk bed situation. Plus for the upper bed, it might drape down way too far for the comfort of the child in the lower bed. Another factor to consider is the batting.

You mentioned the girls are too young to choose their quilt designs, for sure, they are old enough to let you know their colours (pretty definite there with the purple room!!!). But also you could find out what their preferences are, such as princesses, a specific disney character, flowers, animals etc.

Good Luck!

Last edited by QuiltE; 04-11-2021 at 09:15 AM.