Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kits - Make Your Own >

Kits - Make Your Own

Kits - Make Your Own

Old 04-24-2021, 04:54 AM

L’il Chickadee, my thought process is exactly like yours! Lol!!
Old 04-24-2021, 06:54 AM

I don't make kits and very rarely buy already made up kits. I see a pattern I want to make and gather all fabrics from my stash and have the pattern with it and put everything needed in a small plastic basket.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:08 AM

When I make up a quilt kit I am usually putting together the fabrics for the top. I will coordinate in groups of 5 colors from light to dark plus a possible stripe border just incase I decide to add something like this in the end. If I have a specific pattern in mind I will add it to the bag. I have several of these that have been in a cedar chest for several years awaiting my attention. Right now I am so excited about using my Accuquilt that kits have taken a different direction and now I am cutting pieces and putting the pieces in baggies and then into a larger bag. I will use the patterns online or on the envelope that the die comes in without printing it out. I know I can always get it on line so I save space and paper and ink this way. I mark the larger baggie and am making more kits for sewing together this way. Fabric choices are not an issue with my very large stash and I am always pulling fabrics out for different patterns and am cutting away.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:14 AM

I usually keep all the fabrics together until the top and binding are made, then I sort them into back into their homes.

If it's an applique quilt, I make up the heat-resistant templates to keep with them. I keep the pattern, EQ printouts and notes with the fabrics.

I don't usually pre-wash and I don't cut the fabrics until I'm actually getting to work on the quilt.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:49 AM

When I put a kit together, I gather all material uncut and put in a bag or box and mark the pattern on box.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:51 AM

I put together kits for sewing in my RV. Sometimes I cut the fabrics in advance, but not always. I generally use an Accuquilt cutter, and while I take it and a few dies with me, I don’t take them all. If the kit needs a die I don’t normally take, I cut it at home beforehand. The. I package up the fabric and pattern for the top. I don’t normally get my backing and batting until I am ready to quilt the top. Since my binding is usually from the backing or left over pieces from the top, I pick that up later too.
Old 04-25-2021, 10:22 PM

What an interesting idea - I've never thought to make a kit. I tend to find a pattern I like and then collect the fabric I need. I cut as I go - I cut and sew all the block pieces and then do the dashing and borders- mainly because I often change my mind about these!
I can certainly see the appeal of making up a little and just being sblemto concentrate on the sewing knowing all the thinking is done
Old 04-27-2021, 08:55 AM

Default Re:kits- make your own.

I have 9 "kits" that I have put together. Usually, I select the pattern, then cut the pieces. This goes into a plastic box or small box, along with the pattern and picture. If they don't get done before I die (highly likely), then the next quilter will know what I had in mind, whether they do it that way, or not.
Many times I have received gifts of fabric with cut out pieces, but very often, no pattern or pictures, or not enough cut pieces to work with; when that happens, I will re-cut the pieces for what I need at that time.
I only ever bought one kit. When I received it in the mail, the colors were not "true", or at least, they didn't match the picture. I was pretty disappointed, but I bought more fabric for the background, and was much happier with what I bought than what they sent. Still don't have it together, but it's there waiting for me fir whenever I get around to it.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:13 AM

Funny you should ask.
im making kits because I’m going to NE for a month. They are small kits with all the fabrics needed to finish the top of a baby quilt, 4 swap squares, a very large applique peacock. I hope this keeps me busy for a month. I’m only bringing grey and beige thread as I won’t need anything else. The applique is fusible and I will sew it on right before I quilt using FMQ.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

I do have some "kits" I've put together. I gather my pre-washed fabrics and patterns, putting them into an oversize baggie. I also include any notes I've added, sample block, etc. I don't usually include thread or batting. Sometimes these projects might sit for a while. But it is so nice to have these kits done up.