Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos >

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

Old 05-05-2021, 04:47 PM

I've been procrastinating sewing my April blocks. I decided on fabric. I plan to get to them this weekend.

Also, I think I will set my CW blocks in a way I choose, while I will wait on the other set of blocks until the end of year to see if a setting is proposed by the blog BOM leader.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:19 AM
DJ

We should get a new block tomorrow! I'm anxious, but may not have a chance to actually work on it for a while. We are taking a trip to see DD and family ... finally!
Old 05-12-2021, 06:48 AM
DJ

Well, sad to say, I am disappointed, once again, with this month's block(s). That's the problem, it's blocks, not block. You end up with two blocks which could end up being a waste of fabric if you don't have a use for the second block. I don't. I'm sure I can use it for something else down the line (hot pad, use on backing, add to a bag, etc.), but, truely, I really don't need another project and would rather save the excess fabric to use in other blocks for this quilt.

Okay TFL.

Maybe there's a different way to make it ... say with paper piecing ... ? Any suggestions?
Old 05-12-2021, 10:56 AM

No, I'm not going to make an account and give her my email and address just to get that pattern. It looks like I could just sew strips together and cut the triangles... It could be any size strip, not all the same size. It reminds of the baby quilt pattern I made for a nephew. I used 2 1/2" strips for it. It's handy to make 2 strip squares in order to cut 8 triangles. Because if you make only 1 square, you can't rejoin the 4 together to get the pattern. That pattern/method was popular a few years ago.

Another month is a bust, I agree. I'll look for something else to substitute.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Roman quilt.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	633350  
Old 05-12-2021, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Cute quilt, Givio! Great use of scrap strips.

I haven’t seen the new block either, and with a sign up required I probably won’t.

There are so many free block sites online, it should be a breeze to find another 12” pattern.
Have fun, everyone!
Old 05-13-2021, 03:37 AM

I agree about making two blocks is a waste. I found this one on Quilter's cache. What do you think of this one for May's block? It's called Chinese Puzzle (easy version).
https://www.quilterscache.com/C/ChinesePuzzleBlock.html
Old 05-13-2021, 06:47 AM
DJ

Queenbarbiej ~ I looked at quilterscache.com too. That would be a good block. I think I'm going to try a paper-pieced version of the May block first. I might end up wasting about the same amount of fabric if I have trials and errors. LOL

Maybe it would be fun to run our own BOM on this forum. We could have 12 people sign up to present a block. We would have to agree no hard feelings if some participants didn't want to make the proposed block.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:43 AM

There would be no need to make two of this block, if I've read the directions correctly. She apparently made two so that the color placement would be different in each, but they both start out the same way, so you could just as easily make only one, I think.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:44 PM

Joe'smom when you make the strip set then cut into 4 blocks, cut them in half you will end up wit two blocks. Using her colorway, you would have coral on top and burgundy on the bottom. That's why you end up with 2 blocks that are different.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:12 PM

Fabric406.com has this pattern for a 9" block. I don't think it would be too hard to make it into 12" block (just add more strips.) https://fabric406.com/blogs/fabric40...nd-quilt-block. I would use the second method. I would make the straight sides of the triangle equal to 9". Once you get all 4 triangles sew together it should equal to 12.5" unfinished (maybe a hair bigger). Hope this helps anyone who wants to make this block.