Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reasons to not wash fabric (and other washable components) before cutting them >

Reasons to not wash fabric (and other washable components) before cutting them

Reasons to not wash fabric (and other washable components) before cutting them

Old 05-13-2021, 03:07 PM

I’ve just started pre-washing everything after years of not doing so. I think it will save me money in the long run because buying new fabric is not nearly as exciting when you have to take it home and wash and iron every piece!
Old 05-13-2021, 06:28 PM

I always prewash, as I want as much dye to come out ahead of time as is going to come out. Also, I have even had prewashed fabric run all over its neighboring pieces in a quilt top when it got wet from glue basting. Fortunately the stain came out in the wash when I used a color catcher. I don't bother to iron prewashed fabric. Just take it out of the dryer immediately. I only iron as much of a piece of yardage as I'm going to cut on a given day, so the ironing really isn't a big issue..
Old 05-14-2021, 02:50 AM

I quit pre-washing as I was tired of having to trim up all the fabric ravelings.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:03 AM

Most of my quilts have been made from scraps, so I don't pre-wash. I always include instructions, wash in cold water, line dry.
I did pre-wash when I was making masks. I have not had good luck with color catchers.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:30 AM

I prewash all my fabrics, when I buy clothing I wash them before wearing. I wash new sheets, towels, linens, before using. I wash everything I buy before using it. I'm just cautious but some people call me a neat freak.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I prewash all my fabrics, when I buy clothing I wash them before wearing. I wash new sheets, towels, linens, before using. I wash everything I buy before using it. I'm just cautious but some people call me a neat freak.
I do too. I do it to get the sizing out. I also use color catchers and only use cold water and cold water Tide. Works out really well for me.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I too wash EVERYTHING I buy from the store before using, I shudder to think of people opening up sheets and just putting them on the bed. Or underwear!

I used to prewash ALL fabric as soon as it got into the house. Comes from sewing clothing. But since my health hasn't been so good I've been buying precuts more and more and you can't really prewash them. I don't want the backs or other larger pieces to shrink differently than the precuts, so I now skip washing them too. I wash things together if they'll be in the same quilt, but won't wash different colors together if they won't be sewn together. I do still wash all fabrics that will be made into things like t-shirts or pjs due to shrinkage. And when I make things like bed sheets out of wide fabric I will wash that on hot since I normally wash in warm, just to make sure most of the shrinking happens before I hem everything. Same with curtains. I do like that old fashion quilt look though, if I preferred the flatter neater look I would probably prewash when I could.
Old 05-16-2021, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I usually don't prewash but I steam and iron the fabric in every direction before cutting.
oh my..don;t do that..you are inhaling many chemicals that are sprayed on that fabric to get it into this country bug/mold and rodent feces free....many are known carcinogens!
Old 05-16-2021, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by gardengirl1331 View Post
I too wash EVERYTHING I buy from the store before using, I shudder to think of people opening up sheets and just putting them on the bed. Or underwear!

I used to prewash ALL fabric as soon as it got into the house. Comes from sewing clothing. But since my health hasn't been so good I've been buying precuts more and more and you can't really prewash them. I don't want the backs or other larger pieces to shrink differently than the precuts, so I now skip washing them too. I wash things together if they'll be in the same quilt, but won't wash different colors together if they won't be sewn together. I do still wash all fabrics that will be made into things like t-shirts or pjs due to shrinkage. And when I make things like bed sheets out of wide fabric I will wash that on hot since I normally wash in warm, just to make sure most of the shrinking happens before I hem everything. Same with curtains. I do like that old fashion quilt look though, if I preferred the flatter neater look I would probably prewash when I could.
I prewash precuts to! easy peasy with a salad spinner from the thrift store
Old 05-16-2021, 12:43 PM

The only yardage that I don't pre-wash is Muslin, the shrinkage is so minimal that I'm not too worried about it.

When I first sat down at a sewing machine was in Home Economics in high school. The teacher practically beat it into our heads to always pre-wash your fabrics and after I made a mistake years later to not wash for a dress (I thought I had) and the shrinkage was so bad that I couldn't even wear the dress, I vowed to never make that mistake again. Now, the only time I don't pre-wash are pre-cuts.