Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi I found a sewing machine and would like to find the owner >

Hi I found a sewing machine and would like to find the owner

Hi I found a sewing machine and would like to find the owner

Old 06-01-2021, 02:14 PM

Default Hi I found a sewing machine and would like to find the owner

Not sure how to do this.. On my evening walk I found a nice sewing machine.. it was in the middle of the sidewalk. No one was around. I thought it was just out to be "getting rid of" as in my neighborhood people just put things out on the sidewalk they no longer want.

after having the machine over nite and then looking at it this morning (curiosity) I am thinking that maybe someone might have forgotten to load it in there car or something?

It is in nice shape and while I have been thinking about a sewing machine for a while .. I dont remember even how to use one. this one sure is a nice one.

I looked up the model and it may be a bit "older" but it still seems rather expensive and I can imagine someone is probably missing their nice machine.
any ideas on how to find the owner?

thank you muchly
Old 06-01-2021, 02:20 PM

Do you have a FB page for your area? You could post on there, ask them to describe it if they want it back.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:28 PM

hi i am on a facebook..but i am not sure about this specific area.. good idea though. .may sound strange but I have been trying to avoid social media it makes me sad and i feel really alone on there..

when i first i thought " what a neat gift from the universe when i found it" and pluged it in to see if it worked or needed repair. i was terrrible in homeck class back in the 80s! and still horrible with sew machine.. they had a piece of paper nicely folded and holding the 2 threads in place. I thought I am gonna give it a spin. and just like the 80s i got it all tangled and jammed.. so i am hoping to get it back where the owner had it. I should have left it alone. at first i thought well maybe it is broken and that is why they left it out

but after i looked it up.. I started getting different feelings.

hopefully i can get it untangled and straighted out. the things on the bottom that go up and down are locked up at the top (not a very helpful description sorry) they might be "feeders" ?

we have "next door" here which is local for this area. i posted on that. . and i will try some facbook looking in a bit.

thank you
Old 06-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

You might post something like -

"found a sewing machine on the sidewalk on (date) at (address)

Send e-mail to (make up a new address?) and describe to claim

On whatever sites you are comfortable using - -

Old 06-01-2021, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
You might post something like -

"found a sewing machine on the sidewalk on (date) at (address)

Send e-mail to (make up a new address?) and describe to claim

On whatever sites you are comfortable using - -
thank you. I posted on 1 place. i wonder if there are any sewing fourms for my area.. in Oakland Ca. ?
I appreciate the ideas and suggestions. I am trying to get into the facebook oakland.. have request .. hope i will remember to check back tomrrow.

i did the mess i made untangled. it really is a nice machine. I am sure someone is missing it. maybe i should make a little flyer and staple near where i found the machine ?
Old 06-01-2021, 03:33 PM

"hopefully i can get it untangled and straighted out. the things on the bottom that go up and down are locked up at the top (not a very helpful description sorry) they might be "feeders" .

Sounds like the feed dogs are not moving. Might need something as simple as some oil. Feed dogs not moving suggests that it has not been used for a good while.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by janiebakes View Post
"hopefully i can get it untangled and straighted out. the things on the bottom that go up and down are locked up at the top (not a very helpful description sorry) they might be "feeders" .

Sounds like the feed dogs are not moving. Might need something as simple as some oil. Feed dogs not moving suggests that it has not been used for a good while.
thank you.. i dont know what i did wrong this morning.. I have "chronic lyme" disease.. my brain sometimes miss fires! however i found a video and went and rolled the right had wheel backwards, and it freed right up. it has been 40 years since i have even touched a sew machine and the only thing i remember was "bobbin" and how hard it was to sew ... not my strong suit for sure. .but I would like to learn. i really like cotton clothing and it seems they are harder and harder to find..and they dont last as long as they used too.. would be handy to be able to hem my pants or even try to make something.

esp when fire seaons come.. i will need some indoor activity to keep me busy.
now i need to figure out how to "loop" the bobbin and the needle thread i think.. then get the little piece of paper stitched back in place.

i have a habit of finding things on the street that usually need some fixing up and i like to do that.. so i thought that this machine was gonna be trashed but it actually has a really smooth feel before i jammed it up. I remember doing those jam ups all the time in 8th grade and the teacher was so patient and would try to show and expalin ...over and over .

it must be easier than it was back then?
do they even teach sewing in school anymore?

thank you.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:17 PM

it has the most beautiful purple thread on the bobbin.. I tried to make 2 stitches in the piece of paper they had on the foot "? pad? but i ended up with just holes and wasted thread. no more attempts for me.. i dont want to waste their beautiful thread.

I was wondering if maybe it had been stolen and perhaps the theifs thought it was a computer? since it was in a case an all
i am trying not to worry. and hopefully will find it's way home soon.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

My first step would be to go back where I found it and knock on the door and talk to someone. If they are not home, leave a note with your phone #.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:37 PM

I have next door in my neighborhood here in Portland and I think it is great. People seem very nice and helpful. I've met some great folks and during the shut down joined a lovely book club. I would start there. No, they don't teach those life skills in school anymore. There's no time for them since our kids have to pass damn tests all the time and everyone is on "track to go to college". Yes, there are lots of ways to learn to sew. I tutor people to sew and it has been great fun. Of course, you can learn anything on youtube if you are that sort of person. I like the human way of learning. My LQS (local quilt shop) has a sewing class. They start off making pajamas which I think are difficult but hey there's good learning there. My advice is if you keep this machine after an honest effort to find the owner, take it to a repair shop and have it serviced. There's nothing worse than trying to sew with faulty equipment. Spend some money and get all the sewing equipment such as good scissors, pins, needles, measuring tape. Then find a class or teacher and do not give up. Stop expecting yourself to have trouble or fail. Nothing is easy the first time you try it! How many times did you fall down when you were learning to walk! Good luck and for heaven's sake, enjoy yourself!