Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching a 5 Year Old to Sew >

Teaching a 5 Year Old to Sew

Teaching a 5 Year Old to Sew

Old 08-04-2021, 03:54 PM

Default Teaching a 5 Year Old to Sew

My oldest daughter is showing serious interest in learning to sew. She's 5 now (jolly, where did that time go!) I sew primarily by machine but I don't know if I should start her on the machine or sewing by hand. Should I stress the quarter inch seam allowance and accuracy? Should I let her "lead" the way, or keep it structured like a sewing class? I'm thinking of pulling out my plastic Brother because it has a speed control option, versus my vintage Singers. I would love any advice on teaching young ones to sew!
Old 08-04-2021, 04:14 PM

I don't have younguns but I know someone who started their kid out on a machine (no thread in the needle) and lines on a piece of paper. This was to just learn how to control speed and improve accuracy. sounds like a smart way to go to begin. not sure what the next step would be though....
maybe work up to making a simple teddy bear blanket (made from a single square for the top and back, sew around the sides with a space to flip it inside out).
Old 08-04-2021, 04:37 PM

Just MHO, but your thinking of starting her on a machine with adjustable speed, is an excellent idea. That is what I started my granddaughters on. Have fun and enjoy your sewing time with your daughter
Old 08-04-2021, 05:10 PM

I remember some "Sewing with Nancy" episodes and found https://nancyzieman.com/blog/sewing-...wing-projects/ and https://nancyzieman.com/blog/sewing-...iendly-sewing/ There may be something in those that will help. I'm thinking that quilts and doll clothes are the ones with quarter inch seams, whereas, garments generally had 5/8" seams. Maybe stitching lines on paper without thread so can gain control of where stitches are. Maybe teaching both 1/4" and 5/8" seams would be the way to go?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 08-04-2021, 05:25 PM

You may be able to find kits available for young children. They usually have pieces of felt, yarn for sewing and a plastic needle. They are very easy but is good for coordination, lining pieces up straight, etc. I've seen then at dollar stores.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:59 PM
mkc

I learned on the ultimate adjustable-speed machine - a treadle Singer!

Perhaps start by letting her watch you - go somewhat deliberately (slowly) and talk about what you're doing and why. Give her (encourage her) to ask questions.

Do some sewing, then ask if she would like to try the seam you are on. Don't overcomplicate it early on with how to thread the machine, adjust tension, etc. Get the machine where it's sewing well then let her get the feel of it.

Mostly at that age, teach safety - keep hands/fingers away from the needle. Stop immediately if you're not sure about something of if the machine is giving your trouble - let her know it's OK to stop and check things out if it's not going smoothly.

Start with the fundamentals. Worry about precision later. If you put too many criteria up it can turn her off. You can tell her that quilting is usually so and so wide, BUT she is 5. That's a huge concept to grasp at that age. Easier to say "follow the line and try to keep it straight".

Find a small, simple project with straight lines that she can complete and have something to show. A square potholder. 2 pieces of fabric and some Insulbrite in the middle. Let her pick the fabric. Maybe do it as a 3-side stitched inside-out then turn and hand-sew the final bit. Then USE the potholder so she can see how you can sew useful things that are attractive, too.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:33 PM

My mom started me sewing at about that age. I learned to embroider (something I still do) and moved on to using a little hand crank child's machine that had belonged to my great uncle. That way I learned both skills. It's been a good thing for me.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 08-04-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

I started my grands out sewing when they were three. I have a vintage Singer machine that I took the needle out and let them feed fabric strips. Mostly to get the feel of the machine, get the go fast, turn every knob, out of the system. When they could keep the fabric strip somewhat even I then put in a needle (about 4 years old) and bought a needle guard . All can sew a pretty straight seam now. The oldest is 8 and can thread and sew on my new machine. I have a grand age two who will be starting to sew this year. One thing is show how to do it correctly the first time and that is how it will be done by them and leaving a long thread tail is a time saver. LOL
Old 08-05-2021, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

NZ what a wonderful idea! When my 3 sons were little they were all fascinated by my sewing machine. I put them on my lap when they were really little and let them get the feel of sewing, then as they progressed I let them do more. A funny story- my youngest son just sent me a pic of swimming trunks he made LOL. He said he wanted a pair just like his old ones so he got out his wife's machine and stitched away. It cracked me up but also made me very happy
I still have a knitting bag my oldest son made me when he was 8. It is so dear to me! And I have a pillow my youngest made me.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:19 AM

ummmm....when I decided to teach my niece and nephew to stitch, I took out a box of scrap 2.5 inch squares figuring they could make a simple doll quilt out of them....well....they had other ideas what to do with them....they chained pieced two squares together and kept on chaining until they had made a "banner" and hung it over the doorways in grandma's house. they had great fun, but I am not sure they will ever be quilters!!!!