Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing with  1 1/2" squares >

Piecing with 1 1/2" squares

Piecing with 1 1/2" squares

Old 08-06-2021, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Oops. No picture.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:52 PM

I usually sew small strips together in the fabric needed for squares, then cut them the other direction in the size I need.
Accuracy is necessary, but easier to handle.
Old 08-07-2021, 02:19 PM

I use 1 1/2" squares fairly frequently, as sewingpup mentioned, using a smaller stitch length is helpful. Sometimes I'll also cut the fabric an 1/8" wider and use a full 1/4" seam (instead of trying for the narrower scant 1/4") and then trim down if needed.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:03 AM

Love little blocks with tiny pieces! I'm currently working on Summer Samper Spree, a sew along with Moda. It's part of their Blockheads group, but unlike Blockheads, no free pattern. It uses Susan Ache's book, "Sampler Spree". Six inch blocks, I think the most pieces in one was 54.

Some of my fabrics were starched, but not many. It's really a matter of slowing down, both in cutting and sewing. Pressing is important, and I will press and trim more than once as I'm putting the blocks together. Everything really has to be accurate, with such small sizes, it shows up real quick if it isn't. I reduce stitch size by a couple of clicks; with such small pieces, it only takes a couple of stitches popping apart to have a seam fail.

Here are a few of the blocks done so far. There are 106 blocks in the book and I am adding another 14 so make another row. Just finding 6" blocks I like, either free ones on the internet or from Lori Holt's books. We are 8 weeks in, with 2 more to go. The Goblet block, the dark blue and white one, has 1" stitch and flip corners, so only a tiny little bit shows when sewn in.

These patterns are nice, as they are easier, I think, than some of the ones in Lori's books. The problem is that there are cutting directions for the blocks, but no assembly or pressing instructions. You kind of figure that out from the sketch of the blocks. Still, doable if you take your time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blocks.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	634898  
Old 08-08-2021, 06:11 AM

I think you can get that fusible grid paper that small from TenSisters. She has many sizes and great patterns / videos. I took a class from Carmen at a quilt show a while back and it was fun and easy. Check it out here: TenSisters.com
Old 08-08-2021, 06:14 AM

Peace and joy -
Those are super cute!
Old 08-08-2021, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

When having problems lining up 1 1/2" squares, try using 1 1/2" strips instead. You have a little more control sewing strips together, and then can cross cut them into 1 1/2" units. Your seam allowance is critical. I use a magnetic seam gauge to line my fabric up against, like this one:

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ma...ide-gauge.aspx
Old 08-08-2021, 11:33 AM

Peace and joy: your blocks looks wonderful. Can’t wait to see the full quilt.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:10 PM

If you can move your needle over 1 spot from the seam line, (to the inside) sometimes that helps.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

I'm there with you, OK!! I love working with small pieces. I also have an OMG in progress. Such fun! Using a smaller stitch and sewing a bit slower does help.