Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing with fine polyester thread >

Piecing with fine polyester thread

Piecing with fine polyester thread

Old 08-21-2021, 06:35 PM

I've been piecing with Aurafil for a while now. After reading this thread, I might try using polyester. I have a spool of Glide that I'll try on my next project.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
Absolutely. I also think that polyester thread from several years ago and the quality polyester thread made now are two different animals. I love 100 wt wonderfil and Superior microquilter ( using the correct size needle) for piecing and quilting. It’s great for SITD as it melts into the seam and I can’t tell where I didn’t stay in the ditch. I have used it for an edge to edge design when I wanted the piecing to be the star. It doesn’t cut my fabric.

I think we all tend to stick to what has worked for us but like onebyone said when we educate ourselves and learn about the myths it can open up a whole bunch of new things to try that might be even better than what we have been doing.
I wish we had a thumbs-up icon. I thumbs-up this post. 👍😊
Old 08-23-2021, 07:33 AM

You can tell if old thread is ok to use by giving it a tug. If it breaks, don't use it. Thread can be damaged by exposure to moisture and light. I use very old thread (some of it still on wooden spools) all the time for decorative purposes and also for piecing. I give it the tug test. Sometimes the thread on the outside is bad, but what is underneath it is good. Again, tug on it. You'll know immediately if it's dry rotted, etc. I don't use thread that is mildewed or dirty, but I do check what's underneath the first couple of layers to see if it is salvageable.

I also have sewn with Dual Duty, the old Coats, the old Clarks, various no name brands that are out of business, etc. and they all worked well. That said, some of the older polyester threads tend to melt if ironed on cotton setting, but the newer ones seem okay at higher temps. I often piece with Bottom Line thread or with Coats and Clarks 100 wt. poly embroidery bobbin thread and they both hold up to ironing at cotton temps.

Rob
Old 08-23-2021, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The more I educated myself about fabric, batting, stitching, and thread I have learned many of the quilting truths I have been told are not true or just plain silly.
My experience also. If even half of those " truths" were true, the quilts I made 40+ years ago would have self- destructed by now instead of being used by another generation.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kindascrappy View Post
This 80wt thread is the bomb! I can’t even feel it in the seam at all, and my blocks are flat. There’s just one problem, I’m having trouble seeing it.
The fineness of the seam/thread is both lovely and an issue to my vision issues! I usually make the decision most of the time to recut/sew if I can rather than take out stitches which is my last resort. Even before using the So Fine, with cotton threads I could barely see the stitches even with my readers on. When you add my small stitches to the mix -- it's better just to be accurate or have lots of fabric!! To correct things I need an ott/direct sun light and serious reader strength.

In my scrappy style of sewing typically I use a camel/light tan thread and a medium to light slate blue/gray, one each top and bottom. Both of those colors tend to disappear the best, and usually I can at least see the thread line if not the individual stitches on one side or the other.