Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to Entertain the Grandkids >

How to Entertain the Grandkids

How to Entertain the Grandkids

Old 08-25-2021, 04:55 AM

Default How to Entertain the Grandkids

The grandkids ages 11 (artistic girl but not interested in quilting) and 12 (athletic boy) are starting to make regular visits. I'm running out of ideas of ways to entertain them. What do you do with your grands?
Old 08-25-2021, 05:06 AM

This summer break i told them each they were making a quilt. 2 boys, 1 girl. They picked out own fabrics, drew up their pattern on graph paper, cut out squares, laid it out. Started sewing squares together. We also went to Aquarium, Zoo, and Discovery Center. They come over one day a we\ek. Plus they took family vacations. Summer went fast!!! They each have some rows sewn together and we will have to use after school time and holiday days to get it finished. But they are doing it!!! 9, 10, and 13 year old
They also play with our dog, ride bikes and scooters, take walks and of course games on iPads!
Old 08-25-2021, 06:54 AM

Tweens are hard to entertain that is a given. Fizzle, you sound like you have a handle on it. I only wish I saw my grandkids more. The come out to go to the lake and swim or fish. The last time was for fireworks the end of July. They are so full of energy when their ipads are taken away.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:11 AM

We play board/card games. Some of our favorites are Yahtzee, Phase 10, and Spinner. I’m in the beginning process of teaching them bridge.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:50 AM

Electronics seem to be the only thing that interests the younger these days. So good luck on that.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:14 AM

I would simply talk to them -- you like having them there but you also like having things to do. So, are there things that you already do that maybe they'd like to do too? A lot of kids this age enjoy cooking/baking particularly.

Are there things that maybe none of us do or would like to know more about? Getting field guides of birds or rocks or just learning the names of the trees in your neighborhood both give opportunities for going out and about at low cost... There may be other crafts that are appealing to everyone. Some of which may not be low cost!

Then there is, are there things that you do that maybe I'd like to know more about? I play on line video games and I often meet up with youth who just want someone to talk to. You don't need to let them be plugged in all the time, but sometimes it helps to know things like -- something really rare is happening and I really need to be doing what I do on this day/time. Is really easy to dismiss computer time as not being "real" but I spend significant time with some of my on-line friends and have for years, even though we've never actually met in person.

That can be a great way of spending time, just spending time. Jigsaw puzzles can be something to do to disguise the fact that you are really just talking. Get a big expensive one that pertains to someone's interests and one of the roll up mats.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I would simply talk to them -- you like having them there but you also like having things to do. So, are there things that you already do that maybe they'd like to do too? ..................
Exactly .... ask the kids!
They're old enough to know what they want to do.

Sure, you may have some suggestions, but holding back on that front is often better at truly finding out what they want, rather than being suggestive and them accepting by default to keep Grandmamama happy!

While your DGD is not interested in quilting, you may find she is interested in the same skillset, to learn to sew, etc.

Then there is always ... hey kids, would you teach Grandmamama this? or that? Perhaps something computer, like zoom (if you are not already set up for that), or let them teach you a program or WHY. Or the artwork DGD likes? Or DGS teach you something via his athletic abilities.

Most importantly ......... Have Fun!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2021, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

I have my pre teen grands after school three times a week and they like to stay the night on Fridays. They just hang out, watch movies, talk me into baking brownies. I guess being here so much it's not like a long special visit. My nieces use to come in the summer for a week or two. They liked to sew something simple like a pillow or make up bag. The nephews and nieces were out exploring the creek and woods around the house. They built bridges, hung rope swings, made zip lines, played in the creek. . After about age 15 they all had summer group activities to keep them busy so not so much visiting time. So enjoy them now!

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-25-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:44 PM

kites? depending on location and of course, wind.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:32 PM

My youngest grandson and I have always been extremely close. He's moderately deaf, and has several challenges, but it does not stop him! We do a lot of things together. We've done science museums, raptor centers, arcades, visited specialty shops for candy, pop, wooden toys, lego shops, you name it. We've cooked tons of things, and he loves to go shopping. He also is very familiar with quilt shops. We choose a restaurant, or drive through and only order a specialty item. Pizza is a favorite. Winter time I take him sledding. Summer time we go to a water park or a go cart track. Fall brings apple picking, We've done county fairs, and the state fair. We spend time going through old family pictures, and he knows the names of and can recognize many of my relatives. Sometimes we just sit and talk, take naps, or watch TV. Over the years we've done many things, some several times. Tonight he came over for dinner, and next week we're headed out shopping. He's great at coming up with ideas! He'll be 15 in September.

Last edited by Anniedeb; 08-25-2021 at 08:36 PM.