Hand mixer recommendations

Old 09-09-2021, 04:58 AM

Default Hand mixer recommendations

Made a cake this morning and realized that I've always hated my cheap black hand mixer. I don't have the counter space for a stand alone mixer. There are so many mixers listed on Amazon, some with their own case for the beaters, that I'm feeling overwhelmed. What brand do you have and do you recommend it?
Old 09-09-2021, 06:21 AM

Believe it or not I'm still using my mother's old Hamiliton Beach "B" 1948 mixer on a stand. I got another one just like it for $5 at our local thrift store in case this one dies on me. The beater are what are hard to find as they are connected together instead of separated beaters. Also found 3 of them at another thrift store for $.50 each so I got lucky. Anyway, she's smaller than the fancy Kitchen-Aid models and fits in my corner on the counter just perfectly. Plan to make a new cover for her that says "Kitchen-Aide......Wanna-a-Be" as I'm probably never have a Kitchen-Aid.

Also just picked up a small hand mixer at my thrift store just to have on hand. As to what brand to get these days, sorry I can't help you on that. I like Crusinart brand these days.
Old 09-09-2021, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a Cuisinart. Low speed on it is high speed on my old one. It's powerful. Has five speeds. It beats faster then my stand Kitchen aid mixer. It's great for whipped cream and making fluffy batters.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-09-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:57 AM

I have a Black & Decker 6 speed hand mixer! It was a wedding gift in 1977. It’s over 44.5 years old! It still works perfectly, without any issues whatsoever. So I recommend you hit yard sales and thrift stores They just don’t make’em like they use to!
Old 09-09-2021, 05:31 PM

I’m a Kitchenaide all the way!! I have the stand mixer and a hand mixer. I grew up with the Sunbeam MixMasted and that’s what I had for years. It worked fine but I always wanted a really good and powerful stand mixer - like the Kitchenaide. I would suggest the hand mixer if you don’t have room for the stand mixer. Plus it’s lighter than the stand mixer, which is really heavy.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 09-10-2021, 02:57 AM

My hand mixer is a Kitchenaid as well. Very powerful; 5 speed. I have an older (35+ yrs??) Oster stand mixer that I love but is on it's last legs. I do want to replace it but not sure with what.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:14 AM

Am usually in overkill mode when I buy something and I get the oversized, king sized, way too big one. So I got a red kitchen aid giant stand mixer, the kind where you have to raise and lower the bowl. When it came I thought this is really too big for my space. One day I had to get it out to mix something and I liked it so much that I made room for it on the counter and I think I use it 5 or so times a week. .
Old 09-10-2021, 04:19 AM

I have my Kitchen Aid mixer which is great for many things but for whipping potatoes and a few other things I have a small Black and Decker mixer. It has its own small case and I keep the blades in the case when not in use. Nice little mixer.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Am usually in overkill mode when I buy something and I get the oversized, king sized, way too big one. So I got a red kitchen aid giant stand mixer, the kind where you have to raise and lower the bowl. When it came I thought this is really too big for my space. One day I had to get it out to mix something and I liked it so much that I made room for it on the counter and I think I use it 5 or so times a week. .
That is the same one I have, bright red too. I didn't use it much because I had no good spot on the counter that I could leave it. Now that we have moved the mixer has a nice spot on the counter. I use the bowl as much as the mixer. Kitchenaid now makes a nice small countertop mixer. It's great for small kitchens or for those that don't need a big one.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:14 AM

I have a small Hamilton Beach Mixette Model 87-1 hand mixer. I don't know when I got it or where I got it but it works fine for me. It is simple & has 3 speeds. I love it.