Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Disney!  I need new shoes. Help! >

Disney! I need new shoes. Help!

Disney! I need new shoes. Help!

Old 09-17-2021, 02:52 AM

Asics is my favorite, I have 8 pairs of them, I do a lot of walking. I suggest you go into a store and try on all different brands, wear the socks you normally wear and walk around in the store a lot. After you buy a pair walk a few miles in them before you go to Disney to get them broken in.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:03 AM

I haven't been in many years, but my son and family go often. Believe it not, he and the family swear by Crocs! I'm not sure if you can wear them, but they are almost like you are barefoot. You could always take another pair of comfy shoes along and swap out if your feet start to ache.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:45 PM

My daughter likes Keen, my sister likes Merrell, and I've been faithfully buying SAS for 20+ years, following in my mother's footsteps;-). SAS also happens to be made in USA. I agree with others who advise going to a shoe store where they measure your feet and advise on fit. If you have a non-chain, local store, start there.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:13 PM

I can wear Keen shoes all day but they may be not right for you. I’ve heard adult feet increase a half size every 10 years so to echo others here, get measured up at the best shoe store around. It pays off in comfort.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:45 PM

Now I am using Birkenstocks' They did take a bit to get used to. I have had problems with planter fasciitis for more than 30 years. . I have tried so many different shoes, New Balance, Asics, Crocs, Hoka One One. But, I keep going back to Birkenstocks and that is what I have been wearing for about 10 years now. I have several pairs of them, sandals, rubber slip-ons, leather slip-ons, leather ties. I so wanted the Hoka One One to work cuz they felt so comfortable when I put them on....but it seems my feet need the hard support the Birkenstock's provide. One tip I have is that if you have a good running shoe store in your area where the workers are knowledgeable regarding running feet, they are really a good source of advice. My local store is owned by a marathon runner and he looked at my feet and gave me suggestions on what shoes would be good to try and which one's were a no go. He also looked at my old shoes to see how they were worn to see how my gait actually was. I have learned about shoes and feet. The Birkenstocks have very little difference in the height between the toe and the heel....I can not tolerate shoes where the heel is higher then the toes. No high heels for me.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:43 PM

I have had foot trouble for a long time and finally broke down and bought SAS shoes. They worked well when I was still working because I needed shoes that didn't look like running shoes. When I stopped working and wore more athletic shoes I went to Road Runner Sports. They have a machine that you stand on, it measures your foot and creates an orthotic that fits your foot. You take out the liner of the shoe and put that in. It has worked so well for me I no longer have the pain in my feet. It's a lot cheaper than having a podiatrist make an orthotic and you you can put it in other shoes.
We are going to Disney World in November so I planning to get a new one for our trip. My other one is about 3 years old if not older.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:50 AM

Birkenstocks!!!! i have several pair and ive had Hoka One (2 pair)
By far Birkenstocks are my favorite shoe. Even in the winter with wool socks they fit my foot perfectly and i also need firm support! However, wear them and walk a lot in them before your trip! Also they are still made in Germany so they are still well made!
Have fun!!!!
Old 09-19-2021, 05:55 AM

I like my Chaco sandals. I can walk or stand all day in them and my feet don’t hurt.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I have had foot trouble for a long time and finally broke down and bought SAS shoes. They worked well when I was still working because I needed shoes that didn't look like running shoes. When I stopped working and wore more athletic shoes I went to Road Runner Sports. They have a machine that you stand on, it measures your foot and creates an orthotic that fits your foot. You take out the liner of the shoe and put that in. It has worked so well for me I no longer have the pain in my feet. It's a lot cheaper than having a podiatrist make an orthotic and you you can put it in other shoes.
We are going to Disney World in November so I planning to get a new one for our trip. My other one is about 3 years old if not older.

If you don't have Road Runner Sports in your area, look for Foot Solutions stores. I make an appointment and they spend all the time I need to get fitted correctly. Like Road Runner, they also make orthotics you can put into different shoes, as long as those shoes have a removable foot bed. I LOVE the Finn Comfort brand. Made in Germany. Regular shoes in many styles including dressy. But they all have the removeable foot bed so my orthotic goes in. I have never met anyone happy with the orthotic their podiatrist made. The orthotics are 400 dollars and last 5 to 7 years. The Finn Comforts are in the 150 to 200 dollar range but last at least five years and can be resoled.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:51 AM

I have high arches and need good arch support. I use NurseMates Align shoes. They are wonderful for my feet.