Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could I use fleece as a backing to a small quilt that had a cotton top? >

Could I use fleece as a backing to a small quilt that had a cotton top?

Could I use fleece as a backing to a small quilt that had a cotton top?

Old 09-24-2021, 02:01 PM

Smile Could I use fleece as a backing to a small quilt that had a cotton top?

Hi All, I was wondering if I could use Blizzard Fleece for a backing on a top that is 100% cotton with a polyester batting. It would be a small quilt.

Thank you very much.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:25 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If it is a quilt to use as bedding, I would skip the batting if fleece is used for the backing — the quilt will be too hot. Slept under a fleece backed quilt (no batting) in 40F weathet and was toasty warm.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:17 AM

I've used fleece on a couple of baby and children's quilts that had cotton tops. They have held up well. Keep in mind the fleece has more stretch than cotton. You will definitely need a walking foot and move slowly. I also did not use batting. Good luck!
Old 09-25-2021, 03:53 AM

Have made 3 lap size quilts for kids & used fleece on back. Fleece alone is enough. The fleece on the first one had diagonal pattern so after pinning fleece & top together, I followed the diagonal lines (they were about 9” apart) & it turned out fine. I turned the backing to the front for a self binding. I’m glad I used a fleece with a pattern & not a solid color.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:32 AM

I’ve made several small quilts for the granddogs using exactly what you asked about. The quilts quilted up beautifully and have been washed and dried without any issues.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Fleece backed quilts hold up well, quilt beautifully ( always remember to Smooth, don’t Stretch while quilting) I always use batting- we like our quilts warm and ( cushy)
Old 09-26-2021, 07:33 AM

I made a T-shirt quilt for Grandson's graduation this year. It was the various T-shirts which are made out of different fabrics so were all backed with the thin iron on stabilizer. I chose to back it with a good fleece and no batting. Washed it before quilting it and it is the softest, nicest quilt. I wish I could post a pix but can't seem to. I don't know how to decrease the size of the pic so it won't upload unto this site. Will have one of my Grandchildren try to help me with that. It should be easy but I can't make it work. So my advice would be yes you can back a cotton quilt with fleece. I did not use any batting as it just didn't need it. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:48 PM

Ditto to fleece only, no batting. Quilt with walking foot.

Experiment with your chosen width of binding. Might want it slightly narrower. I always machine bind- sew to the back, wrap to the front and then stitch down with narrow topstitch.