Tea Towels

Old 10-04-2021, 04:18 PM

Default Tea Towels

I'd love to find some great cotton fabric to make into tea towels. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where a good fabric like flour sack fabric can be found? I've looked around a bit thru the internet but without actually touching the fabric, I'm a bit reluctant to just buy it. I purchased a pack of "flour sack" tea towels from Wal Mart and they were more like cheesecloth and the embroidery did not turn out at all. Here's hoping you folks have the answer!
Old 10-05-2021, 02:26 AM

Default Yea towel

The tea towels on a roll at quilt shops are good fabric and you can cut to the length you want. I have used them before.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:06 AM

I don't know if the quality has changed but I had gotten some at Sam's club, that seemed like the ones I remembered from my youth. Do you have a restaurant supply company near by? They may have some.

ETA: When I put flour sack towels in search, a few other possibilities popped up - Williams Sonoma, Joann's and Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 10-05-2021 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I have used diaper fabric... I think it's called 'birdseye'. I found it by the yard at Walmart.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:26 PM

I buy Berg Bag co. dish towels . There are nice and heavy and nice sized. I believe you can buy them on line. I find them around here in a farm store. Like Farm Fleet. I do embroidery on them to and looks nice .
Old 10-07-2021, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I think the irish linen is the best towel to have it lasts a lifetime and still looks like a nice tea towel after it is washed. I think if you are going to do all that work it should be something that doesn't look like a rag out of the washer, right? I bought some off of ebay that were really nice.
Also a little step down were the regular cotton towels with the stripes running down the side in the old fifties colors you could buy by the stack. I think there was colonial in the name of the product. ??? Sorry it was a while ago. I do remember that I unsewed the end and cut it on grain to straighten the towel and re-sewed it to keep it from drawing up crooked after washing. Just a suggestion, not required if you dont care.
The cheesecloth type towels are sad after washing and I would startch and press the ones mother made years ago. Just as a keepsake towel, I don't use them anymore. They hang out in the bottom of my linnen drawer in the kitchen for when I am feeling in the mood to admire them.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I found the linen fabric for you!
100% Linen Fabric Medium Heavy Weight Woven By The Yard 60" Wide Many Colors | eBay

And here is some permanent press muslin

Richlin Fabrics ~ Permanent Press Malibu Muslin ~ 45" wide ~ per yard | eBay

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-20-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:33 PM

My LQS has tea towels in a large assortment of different plaids for $5.20 each. I can PM you the name and phone number of the shop if you like.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:26 AM

I buy the ones at Sam’s club, they are 100% cotton so they will shrink. I wash and dry mine before I embroider them, otherwise the fabric will shrink around the embroidery and look horrible.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:44 AM

They are from a company called Berg Bag Co. Those are heavy and well-made. Believe it or not, I think you can buy them online. There is a farm store near where I live. Like the Farm Fleet. To make them look better, I do embroidery on them as well.