Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Old 10-08-2021, 04:40 AM

Default Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Welcome to the October VQW. What will you work on this weekend? I have some handwork to do and bind some placemats. Then I have a few projects to cut and prep.

next one will November 12-14. Any interest in one over Thanksgiving weekend?
Old 10-08-2021, 04:55 AM

Thank you for hosting again Even without knowing that this was VQW I planned to go into the sewing room today and deal with Bernie again. I have gotten two tops completely quilted down, started the third, and maybe Bernie wants to visit the shop again... maybe he just needed a break -- I needed a break!

So while I'd like to get "Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue" quilted down, I might not be able to do that. Have no piecing planned, still have the hand bindings to finish on one of the tops, the other top has the binding on but not yet started on the hand part.

For Thanksgiving weekend, i pan to be starting the Bonnie History Mystery which starts on Black Friday. The two tops I got quilted down were the mysteries from the last two years, so I am on track with my goals

Old 10-08-2021, 04:56 AM

This is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and I will not get much quilting done, Tomorrow, we are having lunch with old friends--the first time I will have eaten in a restaurant in more than a year!! I am very excited! And then we are going to DD's for Thanksgiving dinner. We haven't seen the grands since July. We are looking forward to some quality family time.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:59 AM

My plan is.....
1. Make sample blocks for a gift quilt. Just two!
2. Make more squares using the 2.5" squares from the Birthday Swap ( 7 done and 13 more to go)
3. Quilt a UFO
4. Deliver a quilt to my longarmer friend - maybe.

Will check in now and again between life activities that interrupt my quilting.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:11 AM

Thanks for hosting again Heather! I am in, I have 4 blocks to finish then to do the sashing on each one. Since these are big 15 inch blocks, I hope to get them all done this weekend and maybe even get top completed.

I am definitely interested in a Thanksgiving VQW, as Iceblossom said, Black Friday is the start of this years BH Mystery so I am sure that others would love a VQW as well.

I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is working on!
Old 10-08-2021, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Heather , thank you for posting!
I just finished Christmas Adventure with Bev McCullough and my sashing came yesterday so I hope to get that done. Also a Mystery Christmas from Fat Quarter Shop that I needed black for came. I'm going to be busy in between watching the playoff games. My Bronx Boys got knocked out the first night but I still watch it all.
Old 10-08-2021, 05:53 AM

LOL -- first update/coffee break, also known as "some days don't go as planned". So for the good news, I sat down and adjusted the tension and Bernie has been working nicely! Yay, Bern!! I realized that I didn't start from the right set of lines and would need to take out some of what I just put in. Boo me.

So I stopped, and then when I turned the quilt over I realized I had the yellow thread still on the bottom (to help me adjust the tension. Unfortunately, the reason the tension is so important is that it is supposed to have blue thread on the bottom and yellow on the top...

In good news again, at least it is good contrast and the stitches large enough for me to see. And at least I didn't get too much done. Right now it is re-doable and not a design decision.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:37 AM

I'll follow along and hopefully will be sewing the last little bit on my LBB quilt that I started 7 years ago. I'm trying to decide about the color of the bird to go in the corner and started a thread asking for opinions. I'd love to hear what you all would suggest.

If I can I'll post a picture or two this weekend..... would love to get it done. I always love to see what other people are working on.
Old 10-08-2021, 06:49 AM

I always like to pop in for inspiration on these weekends, thanks! We are celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving dinner here tomorrow night, so need to get my food shopped for today. We are also celebrating our 39th anniversary today so hope to get out for a lunch, we will see.
I am doing some double-blanket stitching on a baby quilt and would be happy to complete that this weekend. I rejoined the guild after 10 years and tomorrow is my first 2 hour sit and stitch zoom meeting, so will try to have some hand stitching for that. I won a little 2" charm pack at retreat so have sewn that into a placemat to donate, hope I can do the quilting on it and have it ready for the binding.
Look forward to seeing/hearing about everyone's projects.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:15 AM

Good morning, everyone. Heather, thank you again for hosting, love these weekends.

I'm definitely in, I have a fall table quilt that I have been itching to start for quite some time now, I've got some hand-dyed fat quarters that I have been sitting on for months that I picked out for it. The pattern is from 256 Fat Quarter Quilt Blocks from House of White Birches, it was one of the very first quilting books I bought about 15 years ago, give or take. It was actually the first pattern that I ever tried and without going into a lot of detail, the quilt top was damaged beyond repair and I had to throw it away. I never picked it back up again until now, so super excited that I'm doing it now.

Then when I can, I'm working on another GFG, I just have not been happy in the least with any of my previous attempts, so I found some jellyrolls that I really liked a month or so back and I'm using those. The picture I've attached shows the rosettes I've done so far. This time, they're 1-inch hexies and my white fabric and two more jellyrolls came in this week, so I'll be cutting strips and hexies at some point.

That's about all I've planned for this weekend. The last few VQW's I pushed myself way too far to get a lot done and I've fallen short of my goals. This time, I want to just take it easy.

I am definitely interested in a VQW over Thanksgiving weekend, fiance and I have no plans other than dinner together and we do our holiday shopping online. No family is expected this year, so we're on our own, would be fun to designate another quilt weekend!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	635795