Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Glue basting w/polyester batting problem >

Glue basting w/polyester batting problem

Glue basting w/polyester batting problem

Old 10-10-2021, 11:04 AM

Default Glue basting w/polyester batting problem

No problem with using 80/20 batting. Everything is "glued" together. But with using 100% poly glue only sticks to the top and backing. Any suggestions? I think I may have to pin baste...ugh.

I'm using pool noodle method.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I have never had any luck glueing on polyester due to the looser fibres. The glue will stick but it still allows movement due to the batting shifting.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:48 AM

ty for the info
Old 10-10-2021, 01:31 PM

I've held back from trying glue basting because I've been using poly batts and I've heard all sorts of disappointment with them and glue. But, I'm almost done with the huge commercial roll of batting I bought and will be able to go on to new and different things.

I'm using spray baste on my current projects, as preferable to pins. It takes awhile to get used to it, I think pretty much everyone massively over-sprays to start. You shouldn't actually see it other than maybe a slight glint. If you over spray and your needle is gummy, leave the top spread out for a bit (like a week) and try again. The top I'm currently working on I spray basted about a month ago now...
Old 10-11-2021, 04:15 AM

I guess I have been lucky. I spray baste all the time. I have used 100% poly, a poly cotton blend, wool, bamboo, and have never had any issues, I have never tried the glue though. I use 505. For me, it is the best. I have tried others, but don't care for them.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:19 AM

Have you tried home made spray baste? It has a different application process than the commercial brands. It is basically home made glue that you spray on until everything is damp, then let dry overnight. There is more about it here: https://www.stringandstory.com/blog/...de-spray-baste
Old 10-11-2021, 06:19 AM

I have successfully used 100% poly bats but it takes a bit more work. More ironing and smoothing out on each side. The 80/20 or 100% cotton is so easy in comparison. I can't imaging doing any other kind of basting. I am stuck on glue basting. I must say I avoid poly bats if I have a choice.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:09 AM

Do you iron the layers together after the glue? That may help grab the two layers together.

I like the powder that is sprinkled on and ironed. Typically, I use it for small projects though.