Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 11-01-2021, 05:37 AM

Thank you for hosting Iceblossom. I'm looking forward to everyone's progress this year. I'm all in but haven't decided on colors yet.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for hosting this, Iceblossom. I think I'm in. Love the colors and have a lot of stash. I enjoy quiltalongs!
Old 11-01-2021, 05:44 AM

How wonderful to have the official thread set up

I did pull out my box of solids but I just don't know if I can do this project with them... good news is I have plenty of Pink and such in the stash and plenty of Rhodies around me to give me inspiration. I do have a huge piece of large pink-purple circles that I am considering using with solids instead of the Garnet color, but I'm concerned that the scale is too big. While you can use large scale prints in Bonnie's projects, you have to make sure the pieces come out the way you want. That is, you can have a large mostly red floral but that one tiny triangle turned out to be all green leaf and it can throw things off. This mostly pink could turn out to have yellow bits and that would cause other problems. Even if I don't use it in the quilt, it might be enough for the back and I might just use it for my color selections. Plenty to think about!

Hubby said that this seemed like an early start and I said no, it takes us this long to get ready. Speaking of him, we went for a nice long walk to look for mushrooms on Sunday. While that park is more of a natural watershed, it was only a mile or so away from one of our favorite places to go, the Weyerhauser Rhododendron Gardens. So for those of you looking for some inspiration might wander around the pictures and such here:
https://rhodygarden.org/garden-overview/
Old 11-01-2021, 06:22 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Rhododendron pictures

Thanks for pictures, Iceblossom. After seeing them, I am surprised BH didn’t include any green.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:59 AM

Ice Blossom, Thank you for the pictures and the beautiful link adding further visual inspiration.
I do not have any yellow colors. Time to buy some. haha

Placed an order with this fabric source in Kentucky. It was obtained from a QB member via an earlier BH mystery. I do not have any affiliation with this company.

Link : https://www.whittlesfabrics.com

Have not visited the store in Smiths Grove, KY.

They do provide excellent customer service. 👏

Last edited by phatquilts2; 11-01-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:05 AM

Thank you, Iceblossom, for taking on the hosting duties!

I'm just as excited this year about the mystery, even though I'm planning to wait for the reveal. These colors are so pretty, but I don't have any cool, bright pink or bright lemon yellow in my stash, nor a large enough piece of a single aqua, so if I go with these colors, I will have to buy fabric. It would be far less expensive (and less work) to go with one fabric per color, but not as much fun as scrappy. I'm going to do a leisurely on line search for these colors to see if I can find really interesting single fabrics to use.

I thought Bonnie's comments on the aqua were interesting -- that we won't be using it until well into the mystery and might want to make a decision then. Also, that she specifically urged a tonal. Very intriguing!
Old 11-01-2021, 08:47 AM

Thanks Iceblossom for hosting! I am looking forward to this year's mystery so count me in but will be changing colors. I worked real hard this past month to finish UFOs as to allow more time for this year's mystery. Two more quilts to bind and a quilt to start for my daughter- not too bad. Now if I could just settle on some fabric colors...
Old 11-01-2021, 10:15 AM

oh dear! Maybe I am going to do this one, I can use all stash...oops...somehow I ended up in front of my computer looking for an aqua....and One aqua, 4 yellows, 3 more pinks, and 1 neutral later....my fingers all on their own, ordered! Yikes....hope I can find cranberry somewhere in my stash along with some more neutrals...although as I have a big chunk of the cranberry...I am thinking of doing that one as a constant too...with just the yellows, pinks, and neutrals being scrappy.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I googled "close up photos of rhododendrons" for images.

It was helpful to me, because I did not know what they looked like.

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-01-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:33 PM

I'm in! I used the quilted twins kit for grassy creek and it turned out beautifully, although i did have trouble with one fabric being so thin it would tear around the seams.

Love the colors this year, am going to wait a few days to see all the other kits pop up and then decide if I'm ordering fabric in or going to one of my local shops for fabric!