Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a crayon quilt >

Washing a crayon quilt

Washing a crayon quilt

Old 11-02-2021, 01:32 AM

One of the significant factors to consider is the washability of these markers. Although they highlight their innovative formulation, these washable markers vary from the level of washability. Some brands easily come off with just a few washes and leave some faint stains while others erase completely. Unfortunately, some marker brands require multiple washes to thoroughly remove the ink stains.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:08 AM

Thread painting might be a better suggestion for a baby quilt. The thread won't lose it's color and will be long lasting. The downside is that a baby's head could get indentions if they lay on all that thread.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:55 AM

I helped my young granddaughters make a quilt using regular crayons years ago (I think they may have been in elementary school & they are now 25 and 30) and they are still going strong. If they do fade all you have to do is re-color and set with a hot iron and paper towels as mentioned above.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:31 AM

I love your quilt thanks for sharing it.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:08 AM

I have made 3 full-sized crayon quilts. I sprayed the blocks on 2 of them with a spray I bought at Michael's. Don't remember the name. The One not sprayed has been washed over and over countless times, I made them to use.. DON'T WASh IN STRONG DETERGENT. NEVER IN HOT WATER AND ONLY AIR DRY IN DRYER OR DRY ON LINE ,FLAT ON FLOOR. HEAT WILL FADE THE CRAYON. I hope. This helps you.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SueBee77 View Post
I have made 3 full-sized crayon quilts. I sprayed the blocks on 2 of them with a spray I bought at Michael's. Don't remember the name. The One not sprayed has been washed over and over countless times...........
SueBee77 .... Was this a spray you used before applying the colour? Or after the colouring was done?

Anyone else .... Do you know what this product is? and more about its use and purpose?

Please? and Thanks!!!!
Old 11-08-2021, 10:27 PM

IT IS CALLLED TEXTILE MEDIUM. I made these quilts in 2008 or 2009... have pictures of them on this board under another name. I got it at Michael's.... Very wrong about how i put it on ...sorry ...I used a PAINTBRUSH TO PAINT IT ON. Already sewed top together. Followed their directions on how to do it, then used hair dryer to dry. I only painted the crayon part not the whole block.. The solution leaves a soft plastic like protective cover over the colored pictures. Still bright and Nice no cracking at all.