Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm trying to find.... >

I'm trying to find....

I'm trying to find....

Old 11-08-2021, 03:57 AM

I made one of her quilts. I was fortunate enough that a local quilting friend had received a full kit from someone on freecycle and was not interested in doing it. She generously passed it onto me.

You really want to be comfortable with paper piecing before tackling one of her quilts. Have lots of binder clips; ziplock bags; etc. on hand. Her directions are very detailed and I found to be somewhat confusing until you read them repeatedly. One of the most difficult parts for me was trying to figure out how to get the required number of initially cut pieces from the yardage provided. A friend had a CAD program and layed out the largest group for me. Once I saw how that was done it was easy for me to figure out the rest. Read; measure; draw and count your pieces and do that a few more times before cutting anything. Have lots of pieces of scrap paper available to label your piles of cut fabric pieces and ultimately your completed sections.

I followed her directions and not sure what the one previous poster was meaning by paper piecing Judy's way or the 'regular' way. I found no difference there. I'm not a highly experienced paper piecer but I am comfortable with the process.

Doing the quilt was certainly tedious but I was up for the challenge since there was little else to do during the height of COVID. I'm not sure I would call the process 'fun' but it was a challenge I was ready for at the time.

I only have photos on my phone and not sure how to get them here. I was not overly fond of the colorway for that particular quilt but as I say - it was a complete kit (pattern and fabric) that was totally free to me, so why not. I generally like her quilts but they seem to always be square and I prefer rectangular quilts for the most part. I have another of her patterns (also free from the same sources) for a bed runner that I will eventually get around to doing. That one I think is the Bali wedding star pattern.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:51 AM

This is a Judy Niemeyer quilt I started in 2017 or 2018. When we had to stay home last year I got it out and was determined to finish it. When I first started the quilt, I watched one of her videos. She explained how to cut the patterns apart, how to cut the strips and pieces, and her ziploc bag systems. It was very helpful.
I think my quilt is beautiful and I am very happy I made it. This summer at Batiks Etc in Virginia I purchased another Judy pattern. I am still collecting fabrics for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Judy star.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	636311  
Old 11-08-2021, 05:06 AM

Ladies, correct me if I"m wrong, but doesn't Don (ISEWMAN) make a lot of Judy Niemeyer's patterns? Maybe he would be of some help.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:19 AM

Talking Thank you all!

I really appreciate all the response to my question! You've given me a TON of stuff to check out and think about, especially the comments about tediousness. Quilting--for me anyhow--is creative FUN! I don't want to just copy someone else's pattern right down to their choices for color and/or fabric. I never do ANYTHING just the way I'm supposed to, so I'm gonna have to do some hard thinking about this. I got started reading books by Judy Martin and Judy Mathieson, both of whom seem to be all about how to design and create your own, so maybe Judy Niemeyer is maybe the wrong fit for me. Like I said I need to do some hard thinking about this direction before I get myself into something I'll regret starting or--worse yet--never finish.

So thank you so much for taking the time and effort to help me work thru this decision!

Rusty

Old 11-08-2021, 05:45 AM

I have seen a number of them at trunk shows and a couple of guild members have made them. I scheduled a workshop to make one with our guild but I got COVID during the process so missed it. I have the pattern here. Guild members have offered to walk me through the process and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I am looking forward to what others have to say here.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:56 AM

I did this one, Prairie Star, I think it's called. It was a little overwhelming at first -- so many papers and templates -- but once I understood that some were for cutting and not piecing, I was ready to go. (I found there was a lot of waste when using the cutting templates.)

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...62-615418.html
Old 11-09-2021, 10:05 AM

I love making Judy patterns! I've made about a dozen of her patterns. I was very intimidated at first until someone showed me how to get started with organizing. I started with Island Sunrise. Simple spikes and curves. You absolutely can make her patterns without a class. Only the ones released every 2 years, called Technique of the Month, are available from certified shops or instructors.

There is also a program called Quiltster, designed by Quiltworx, that you can pick a Judy Niemeyer pattern and color it using the many thousands of fabrics available in the program. There is also a way to upload your fabrics so you can use your stash. Then you will have a picture of what it will look like before you even start. It will tell you fabric yardage. too. There is a monthly or yearly cost but worth it if you make a lot of her patterns or just want to try it out for a month. There are videos to help you learn to use it.

I am a very organized person. I am a directions/recipe/pattern/rule follower. I have a hard time using that other side of my brain. You know, the creative side. I have a friend who is the total opposite of me. She just figures out how to make them work for her. Hers end up just as beautiful as mine. It doesn't matter how you get there. Have fun!
Old 11-09-2021, 11:45 AM

One, never again. I am an avid paper piecer so the components were not hard and ended up pretty perfect. The problems came when sewing the components together. All I can say is it didn't work for me. I eventually salvaged the quilt by making it king size. The extra fabrics helped with the wave. If you do decide to take on one or her quilts, just go one step at a time, go slow, and watch lots of youtube videos. When she was traveling, she came to our Quilt Guild, awesome quilts. Some people who took her class, made the components, then had her help in assembly. Wish I had thought of that.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:54 PM

I enjoy making them, though I prefer Jacqueline de Jonge patterns. Both require paper piecing and dealing with curves and such.

I have found several Judy N. designs that are for table runners and such, if someone wants to try something small first.

I'd also suggest being very comfortable with paper piecing, as if you follow the directions you'll waste a lot of fabric. I'm to the point I no longer use an "add a quarter" ruler, just eyeball with scissors.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

What I mean by regular way of paper piecing is to cut the fabric large enough to fit over the drawn line, sew and trim. JN has you cut the fabric and paper together then sew it all together. reminded me of using paper patterns to cut out fabric for a dress. It may save fabric but it takes twice a long and get one piece mixed up and it's a mess. I didn't buy a kit so had plenty of fabric to sew and trim the 'regular' way.