Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Low bobbin: What do you do? >

Low bobbin: What do you do?

Low bobbin: What do you do?

Old 11-20-2021, 12:13 PM

Default Low bobbin: What do you do?

Whether you have a sensor on your DSM or are just eyeballing your bobbin, what do you do when the bobbin looks low? I just put in a bobbin in a new color that was obviously running low before doing some FMQ. I thought about throwing the remaining thread out so I could start fresh. But I couldn’t bring myself to do so. And, of course, I ran out and needed a new bobbin partway through. What do you do?
Old 11-20-2021, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I have a lot of bobbins - so if I am starting a new project, I wind a fresh bobbin.

I will try to use up small amounts of thread on bobbins on things that thread color does not really matterl

I hate to waste/throw away bobbin thread. The only time I do that is if the thread has become tangled or I broke a plastic bobbin.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I change bobbins as needed but use up the ( low) bobbins for small projects or piecing when the thread isn’t going to matter. I also use upbobbin thread for hand sewing I may need to do.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:10 PM

depends on what I am doing. If I am piecing, I usually just look for the next bobbin that does not have much thread on it and plug it in. I do try and keep the same brand...but I usually mostly piece with Aurifil or mettler so fine. If I an working on something were the bobbin thread is going to show, then I make sure I use a matching bobbin.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

If I am FMQ, I always start with a full bobbin. I save part bobbins for piecing.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:08 PM

As I start a new project I'm usually chain piecing a lot of short seams so I'll put in a partially full bobbin to do these. My machine sets reminders until the bobbin is down to 8% which is actually still quite a bit of sewing left to go. I like to keep track of how many seams I'll get from that last 8%. Kind of a game really. I keep my thread stored with its corresponding bobbin attached. Bobbins are filled for the project, but the partial bobbin attached to the thread spool is the first to go in the machine. Another thing you can do is load the bobbin up top for the top thread where you can see it, and use it up that way.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:49 PM

You all made me realize I should just get some more bobbins!
Old 11-20-2021, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

I bought a nifty gadget called the Bobbiinator. My friend laughed at me and said it wasn't needed. I use it all the time for partially filled bobbins. I'm glad I bought it. It works like a spool of thread on the machine.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:11 PM

I do as others have mentioned and use up bobbins with small amounts on them for piecing.

As for the Bobbinator I saw one when at a retreat. I couldn’t see the point as I just put the bobbin where the spool would go when I want to use up thread from a bobbin in the needle. The Bobbinator owner was thrilled with it, tho so I didn’t say anything.

chacon à son goût
Old 11-20-2021, 06:31 PM

When the bobbin low indicator comes on, I will turn it off, and then continue to sew. However I will check frequently to make sure the bobbin is still feeding thread. I hate having bobbins that are not very full in my bobbin case, so I just run them out all the way.