Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine? >

Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine?

Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine?

Old 11-22-2021, 11:58 AM

Well, I have removed the potted motor and handwheel. The grease is still in good shape, it isn't hardened at all. I'm stumped as to what could be keeping the parts from moving. As I said, the parts jiggle in place. The machine was not used much. The original owner was a housekeeper and used the machine lightly and then 30 yrs ago it was bought at an estate sale by someone who just wanted to use it as a side table. She wasn't a sewer and it sat unused and unloved for 30 years. I'm stumped at this point.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:06 PM

I'm not strong enough to turn those screws...will have to get my husband in on this one.

Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Do you mean when you try the balance wheel, it kinda rocks back & forth slightly? If so, then from my experience this is caused by hardened grease around the worm gear, bushings, etc. Quick way to find out if the motor is the cause is simply remove the motor housing (those two screws Leon mentioned), internals should now spin freely

ps: i suspect hardened grease
Old 11-22-2021, 02:36 PM

I just freed up 3 machines, a 301, a 66 and an Electro Grand. I used straight kerosene, and put it into all of the places that normally would take oil. This was an instruction in the Singer 301 manual. Oil (with kerosene) and work the hand wheel back and forth gently until it comes free. Letting is soak overnight helps, too.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:56 PM

With my husband's elbow grease we were able to take the 2 screws out and slide the last part off. Here is a photo of it... alas, the shaft does not rotate at all. It merely jiggles slightly. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	636551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	636552  

Last edited by Christine-; 11-22-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
With my husband's elbow grease we were able to take the 2 screws out and slide the last part off. Here is a photo of it... alas, the shaft does not rotate at all. It merely jiggles slightly. Any ideas?
By jiggle do you mean back a very slight rotation? It could be somewhere else that is sticking it other than that main shaft. Try oiling it everywhere with kerosene and let it soak for a day, then jiggle it more and see if it gets any more rotation.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:07 PM

I would 1. check the the bobbin area to make sure nothing is jamming it up, 2. remove the covers from the gears on the underside of the machine and make sure nothing is jamming those up.

Otherwise, as the shampoo bottle says, rinse and repeat, only with oil, or kerosene then oil.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:30 PM

It looks like you have a 201-3 rather than 201-2. There is an adjuster's manual available from https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...ger-201-1.html One should pay attention as to which machine is applicable per page. Most of the first 44 pages apply to the different machines' light, motor and controller. The rest of the machine adjustments begin on page 44 (of the pdf).

bkay uses lamp oil as it is evidently kerosene with a different name. I agree about applying kerosene to all the oiling points and jiggling some more. I had read something about kerosene in the above manual, but can't find the page, now. All the oiling points are shown at the end of the manual. I would try that before starting to take things apart, other then the easy pieces like the needle, the needle plate, the presser foot and maybe a few other easy to replace items. Frequently, there could be a thread jamming the bobbin case.

I've had success with hard to remove screws by using Tri-flow oil and letting it set overnight.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-22-2021 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:56 PM

I just sold a 201-3 on ebay so I can say this machine is definitely a 201-2. It has a potted motor whereas the 201-3 has a belted motor. It also has the light in the front whereas the 201-3 has the light mounted on the back of the machine.
Thank you for the link to the service manuals though! I had one that was specific for the 201-3 which I sent with the machine when it sold but I need one for the 201-2!

Thank you for the advice about the kerosene! So far I've just used sewing machine oil but I'm going to pick up some kerosene in the morning. I'm not so sure about lamp oil, as some lamp oil has parafin in it... will have to read some labels on that.

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
It looks like you have a 201-3 rather than 201-2. [snip]

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by Christine-; 11-22-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:42 PM

My first recommendation is this: do not force the handwheel. Move it very gently. These machines are not entirely made out of metal as some people believe. There is a “Textolite” gear under the handwheel that’s made out of a combination of Bakelite plastic and I believe cotton fabric. This gear is spring loaded to prevent damage to the motor if the machine jams. Remove the handwheel and take a look at the Textolite gear. It may be jammed or the spring may be jammed. If the gear is broken the machine won’t move. The liklihood that the gear is damaged is remote, but you don't want to be the person who does damage it by forcing the wheel. I do not know whether that gear can be safely cleaned with kerosene. Look at page 27 of the Adjusters Manual.

Singer recommended running kerosene through these machines as others have recommended. Given that the grease was not entirely solid, I’m apt to think there’s a mechanical issue. I suspect it’s a simple thing.

Check the bobbin area for jammed up thread. clean it carefully with kerosene and oil the race. This is a delicate mechanism that can get jammed up and freeze a machine.

Check both ends of the feed dog connecting rod. Page 58 of the Adjusters Manual. If there's any rust or corrosion at either end that could freeze the machine. Some rust remover and kerosene and even 3-in-1 oil to clean rust inside the connectors would work. If you use anything other than kerosene, make sure to flush the area with kerosene to get rid of whatever you use..

Check whether the stitch length lever moves. Take a look at whether the sliding block connected to the lever is jammed. If so, it can be unscrewed from the side and cleaned.

Check whether you have thread jammed up, wound up between the shaft and the handwheel.

Remember that the most important tool in the tool chest is patience. Use lots of it.

I'm sure you'll succeed in getting this machine working fine. Good luck.

Last edited by 1.41; 11-23-2021 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:09 AM

All good suggestions 1.41! Thank you!