Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine? >

Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine?

Frozen 201 Singer sewing machine?

Old 11-26-2021, 04:44 PM

In your last picture, right in the centre, is that a broken needle? There's something that looks a bit like a broken needle sticking up at about a 45 degree angle and it looks like it's stuck in the gears. What I'm looking at is right behind the horizontal shaft.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:39 PM

Is this the correct video? At the 9:30 mark he is talking about timing a 201. [edit: I found the bushing at 20:32... I removed the fly wheel and the motor and the machine still isn't moving. So I don't think it's the bushing.]

Also, I did remove the hook and the bobbin shaft and gear. I wanted to see if there might be a bit of broken needle caught up in the gears and there was none. I'm not sure what that is in the photo, hmmm....

Originally Posted by 1.41 View Post
Look here: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-8G5AaVD3o

At 9:32 Bob Fowler explains how to loosen a pushed in stop motion bushing. I don't think one needs the tool he uses. A $10 plumber's faucet remover might do, a few small taps with a hammer all around the bushing would also be something I would try if it were me. He also welcomes emails with questions about machine repairs. Use "My Worst Nightmare" in the subject line.

Also, if you haven't removed the hook assembly, I would certainly do that to look at whether a piece of a broken needle or a entire needle has slipped inside the assembly.

Last edited by Christine-; 11-26-2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:43 PM

I think you know the picture I mean, it's this one: Right in the centre of the picture something that looks like a needle seems to be sticking up.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2021, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 1.41 View Post
I think you know the picture I mean, it's this one: Right in the centre of the picture something that looks like a needle seems to be sticking up.
That thing sticking up is the clip found on the bottom of the bar that holds the hook in place. I have removed that bar, the hook, the bobbin shaft and the gear at the bottom of the shaft (after marking it so I know exactly how it fits back in there!). And the machine still won't move. I am not comfortable removing anymore parts on the machine, it has reached the limit of my knowledge at this point. I found someone who has worked on these old machines for over 40 years and he said he would come to see what was wrong on Monday. So I'll keep you updated on the progress. I'm bound and determined to get this great machine running!
Old 11-27-2021, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
P.S.: I have done all of the following...
Are you sure the balane wheel is engaged? This would keep the needle bar from moving up and down.

Have a great day and I hope you get it resolved!
Old 11-27-2021, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by FoggyButFocused View Post
Are you sure the balane wheel is engaged? This would keep the needle bar from moving up and down.

Have a great day and I hope you get it resolved!
That was the first thing I checked. I have since removed the wheel and also the motor, yet it still doesn't move.
I have a guy coming on Monday who has 40+ yrs experience to help figure out what is wrong with it.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:05 PM

Sorry, but now I'm confused. I see a silver coloured pointed pin or needle shaped object in the centre of the picture, right up against the bed of the machine, behind the hook driving shaft. It doesn't look like a clip, it looks for all the world like a pin or a needle stuck in the drive gear. I looked at the Adjusters Manual for this machine and didn't see anything like that in that area.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:19 PM

Yes, it's not a pin or needle. Here is a photo of the clip you're seeing.

Old 11-27-2021, 11:40 PM

Right. I now understand thanks Christine. In the first image, there seems to be something that looks like a braided cable in the arm of the machine, What is that? And could that be blocking the movement of the upper shaft?
Old 11-27-2021, 11:44 PM

I'm not certain but I think that is the wiring that goes to the light. That's the only thing I can think of.

I have someone coming on Monday to look at the machine. He has 40+ yrs experience working on these vintage machines. I'm looking forward to finding an answer to why this machine won't move. I'll keep you posted.