Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bobbin winding issues with Singer 1425 >

Bobbin winding issues with Singer 1425

Bobbin winding issues with Singer 1425

Old 11-27-2021, 11:44 AM

Default Bobbin winding issues with Singer 1425

Hello!
I recently inherited my grandmother's sewing machine and have been trying to figure out its intricacies in hopes of starting off on some sewing adventures of my own.
​​​​​​
​​​​​Though I'm finding that despite following the manual as best I can for setting up the thread, the trial stitches on the bottom of a piece of fabric aren't placing but are leaving an excess tangle of thread. I took a class, but the instructor could not work with my older machine.
Is it that the tension is off with the bobbin? It's a self-winding machine, but it seems to wind the bobbin rather loosely. Any information or insight on how to fix this problem would be so greatly appreciated!
Old 11-27-2021, 06:08 PM

Default Make sure the needle threading is correct.

I have had an issue like that, only to find that I missed threading the needle. Double check Pages 24-26 of the manual. Is the thread properly in the tension disks?
Just a thought...
Old 11-27-2021, 07:02 PM

Welcome to QB, Sarangeline. It seems like some of these machines that have the in-place bobbin winders can be tricky. It seems like that sometimes the bobbin winding button is at fault. When I was looking for something that may help you, I noted what was called an bobbin winding actuating cam was for several machines, including the 758. I found a thread that might be helpful, particularly the ones by thepolyparrot at Need help with Singer touch & sew zigzag model 758 There is mention of making sure that the needle is properly threaded. I also know that when winding a bobbin that one should go at a slow to moderate consistent speed. On page 37 of the manual found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/58...page=37#manual it talks about the tensions and adjustments.

Perhaps a picture of the stitches might help. We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)