Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bluebirds Fly Appraisal from Houston >

Bluebirds Fly Appraisal from Houston

Bluebirds Fly Appraisal from Houston

Old 11-29-2021, 09:27 AM

Default Bluebirds Fly Appraisal from Houston

I started a thread on 08/25/2021 titled Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised? Here is a link if you’d like to see what was said there:

Why Should I Get My Quilt Appraised?

I decided to get the appraisal. A few weeks after the quilt was returned, I received a written appraisal of $1,476.00. There was an error in the spelling of my name so I called the appraiser for a correction and found out some interesting things in our conversation.

The appraised value is only for replacement cost redone by a professional... not me. It wouldn't take a professional as long to make it again so that reduces the value. Having it juried into a bunch of prestigious shows does not increase its value. It would only increase the value if it won ribbons... and only by about $100. Really high appraisals are given to well-known/successful people in the quilting industry.

I assumed the market value would be higher than the appraised replacement-cost value, but she said it would usually sell for less. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. That could be more or less than the replacement-cost appraisal, but in her experience it’s usually less.

Keep in mind that this was my understanding in a brief conversation with an appraiser who has pages of credentials, spanning decades, and experience in judging major shows. Other appraisers, with their own training and experiences, may have something different to say.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluebirds Fly.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	636607  
Old 11-29-2021, 09:41 AM

That is a lovely quilt! and the subject wonderful too. You definitely spent hours on the quilting. Maybe more if you used a domestic machine. I've seen wonders by quilters without longarm machines. I do wish I could do half that lovely work on mine! Worth what the appraiser said!
Old 11-29-2021, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

A beautiful quilt, love the birds.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the appraiser’s comments. I had a quilt appraised- appraisal value was $3,759. I sold the quilt for $2,600 and was very happy with that amount. I looked at it as showing the buyer they were getting a good deal and I did give them a copy of the appraisal for their records.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:47 PM

Thank you for sharing again the story of the quilt and the appraisal. I think it is all so fascinating. And your quilt so awesome
Old 11-29-2021, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I agree with the appraiser’s comments. I had a quilt appraised- appraisal value was $3,759. I sold the quilt for $2,600 and was very happy with that amount. I looked at it as showing the buyer they were getting a good deal and I did give them a copy of the appraisal for their records.
I'd love to see a picture of your quilt.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:16 PM

Love all the different shades of blue.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
Love all the different shades of blue.
Thank you... There are no repeat fabrics in the birds. I got all of the different fabrics from a swap here on Quilting Board called the 2.5" Birthday Swap. Joining the swap happens once a year. It usually is announced in January and runs from March to February. Here is a link to the current swap:

2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap
Old 11-30-2021, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

JENN- that quilt is simply fabulous!! I'd say "priceless"
Old 11-30-2021, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

This is so true. I know a quilter that made $3000 for one wall quilt. It was commissioned for a large company that had $ in the decoration budget to spend. And it was hung where none of the employees could see it.