Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing a Cat / Kitten Toy Question Please >

Sewing a Cat / Kitten Toy Question Please

Sewing a Cat / Kitten Toy Question Please

Old 11-12-2021, 11:36 AM

Default Sewing a Cat / Kitten Toy Question Please

I am making some cat toys that I would like to donate to a shelter. They would be made of fabric, Polyfil and a little catnip ...but some would be without catnip. My question is what fabric would you use? I have a lot of cotton and fleece but do you think a cat would be able to rip cotton or fleece? May I ask what other kind of material you might use?

Thanks so much.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:26 PM

My cats enjoy catnip filled little pillows made of cotton. They have lasted for 10 years and are still going strong.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:07 AM

Our cat loves one of his fleece toys, hates others. I have no idea what the difference is! He also has a couple of felted wool (old sweaters) ones that he likes a lot, they are the kicker style (about 6" long) with no catnip. In the past, he's had some regular cotton ones that were favorites until, yes, he chewed a hole in them - but it took a while.

Basically, I think any assortment in fabric scraps you have would work well for different cats and would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I think I would use fleece as it is almost indestructible. I would worry a cotton toy might be chewed open and the fibrefill ingested could clog the intestines.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:42 AM

My DH made several with denim. They've gotten pretty worn, but so far none have been ripped open. We didn't put any catnip in them though.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

i use anyth9ing except metallic or velvet. my kittie loves cotton or fleece. the fleece feels like a real animal, i guess. I put nip in ll of them. her favorite toy is a twista seal for loaves of bread or for veggies. they are bent in half, and thrown on the floor. then she chases it till it goes flat. at which point, she plays hockey with it. textured fabric is good too.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:31 AM

Why not make both cotton and fleece? The catnip is such a treat for any cat. I think both fabrics will hold just right.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
her favorite toy is a twista seal for loaves of bread or for veggies.
My cat loves those too - along with the rings that come off when you open the plastic gallon milk/water jugs.

Amazing how many of them are found when you move the refrigerator to clean under it. (along with hair bands).
Old 11-26-2021, 02:53 PM

ummm Don't know too much about cats. Allergic. But, the local shelter here only wants fleece used in the dog and cat blankets. They also have a pattern for them. I would maybe call the shelter and ask what they would like as they may have reason to reject some types of things. The shelter here washes everything regularly and I have only seen washable toys on their website with the dogs and cats
Old 12-02-2021, 01:41 PM

Default Kitty tube

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
I am making some cat toys that I would like to donate to a shelter. They would be made of fabric, Polyfil and a little catnip ...but some would be without catnip. My question is what fabric would you use? I have a lot of cotton and fleece but do you think a cat would be able to rip cotton or fleece? May I ask what other kind of material you might use?

Thanks so much.
I use a good quality cotton and put some catnip along with stuffing when I make my kitty a "tube" or smaller toys. He bites and pulls on them and they hold up. His tube is about 12" long x 3" wide and he loves to wrap his legs around it and bite it when he gets extra frisky. I also make him squares or mouse shapes to toss around and he loves the catnip in them. Lightweight denim is another good choice I think.