Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-04-2021, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Lisa, yes, the Doug Leko one. However, I did one and it turned out the correct size. Yay! I like this method because you use strips and there's no waste.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

woodland- your blocks look great!
Old 12-05-2021, 04:55 AM

Look at Woodland Creature go! I'm in awe SusieQOH, sounds like you have a plan and a ruler to go forward -- does my heart good to see the help and understanding by the others.

I feel really good about my progress. I did indeed zip through cutting the neutral squares. Since they they were all my solid white I had a really good idea of how many I could cut each strip. Not all my yellows were full WoF but I was able to zip through them relatively quickly. My pinks were a slow slog of little bits trimmed even smaller. I got all the lines drawn while watching tv. I am already taking credit for the University of Michigan football win over Ohio State because I got my "Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue" quilt to her in time for the big game. Yesterday, I was drawing lines on some of the same yellow fabrics during the Michigan/Iowa game -- and Blue won again and I am taking credit for lucky yellow fabric!!

I like the ease and accuracy I get with the rectangle and 2 squares method. At this size, I do just trim off the remainders -- but then I'm not cutting large so I figure about the same amount of fabric usage. Half an inch bigger and I would sew both sides and save the small HST.

Today I start sewing and it will take a bit before I get this step finished, so here's what my pinks look like. That's the funky vintage tray I use for working while watching tv in bed. Multi-tasking quilting even.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6247.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	966.5 KB
ID:	636696  
Old 12-05-2021, 05:18 AM

Pretty Colors
Old 12-05-2021, 05:50 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Look at Woodland Creature go! I'm in awe SusieQOH, sounds like you have a plan and a ruler to go forward -- does my heart good to see the help and understanding by the others.

I feel really good about my progress. I did indeed zip through cutting the neutral squares. Since they they were all my solid white I had a really good idea of how many I could cut each strip. Not all my yellows were full WoF but I was able to zip through them relatively quickly. My pinks were a slow slog of little bits trimmed even smaller. I got all the lines drawn while watching tv. I am already taking credit for the University of Michigan football win over Ohio State because I got my "Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue" quilt to her in time for the big game. Yesterday, I was drawing lines on some of the same yellow fabrics during the Michigan/Iowa game -- and Blue won again and I am taking credit for lucky yellow fabric!!

I like the ease and accuracy I get with the rectangle and 2 squares method. At this size, I do just trim off the remainders -- but then I'm not cutting large so I figure about the same amount of fabric usage. Half an inch bigger and I would sew both sides and save the small HST.

Today I start sewing and it will take a bit before I get this step finished, so here's what my pinks look like. That's the funky vintage tray I use for working while watching tv in bed. Multi-tasking quilting even.
Man, I could have kicked myself after Terry told me which Die she used for her rectangles because I have the same die. However I had already used a strip die for the required height and then cut the strip into the required width.

Also, it took my brain a couple of seconds to unfreeze after seeing Woodland Creature's picture. My first thought was "OMG, I used all the wrong colors!!". Then my brain clicked into gear realizing that Woodland is using different colors. Geez, my heart almost stopped!
Old 12-05-2021, 06:03 AM

Woodland: Your units look terrific. Fabulous job!

Iceblossum: Your colors look wonderful together.

I have completed a few geese, some using my Accuquilt and some using the Quilt in a Day 4 at a time method (made 8 at a time to get contrasting “sky” units). I feel like the QIAD method wastes fabric, but realized it actually uses less fabric than the rough cut suggested by Accuquilt for those dies. My QIAD geese are perfect*and my Accuquilt are acceptable. I think I will make the rest with QIAD method.

* except for the one where I cut it wrong (which means the 8 at a time only yielded 7). Since I don’t have the ruler, I really need to put masking tape on my ruler to mark my cutting lines. Quarter inch tape is great for that.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- your fabrics look great!
Yes, so many helpful peeps here. I truly appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:22 AM

Iceblossom and Woodland Creature - I love both sets of colours and am already excited to see how this quilt works up in all of the different colour combinations people have chosen. I'm also learning so much - I have never made a quilt that features flying geese units (I have done some of the cheater ones with HSTs, though). I've added to my "go and figure this out" list with all of the resources and guides and ideas shared here. :-)
Old 12-05-2021, 07:45 AM

IceBlossom, I love your color variety!

Working along with everyone here is so much more fun than by myself. I finished a few more geese yesterday but more importantly drew a ton of diagonal lines with my frixion. The next time I sit down at my sewing machine serious progress will be made!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:05 AM

Iceblossom, that is a beautiful group of pinks/purples. Some of the pinks I ordered were more purplish than anticipated, but seeing yours has inspired me to include them.

I'm kind of disappointed in myself that I am not making faster progress on putting my sampler together now that it is in the boring stage. I think I'm spending more time looking at photos of people's mystery units, LOL.