Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 12-18-2021, 08:36 AM

I did zero sewing yesterday but quite a bit of thinking. I will be adding a few dark purples to my "garnet" group. Have two out and want two more.

Today with the hubby home for work we hope to have another Call the Midwife marathon, I think we have Season 3. I was surprised the hubby got pulled in by the stories when I was watching a later season so we have started from the beginning.

I did want to point out Bonnie's words of encouragement that we can do these small triangles and that this is a pretty light workload so that we can get caught up or also do other things. Last year by this point I had dropped out of doing the project in real time while I was going through a pretty major depression thing... it took me months to come back to the project and get it done, but I did manage to print each clue which was a big help. Not as fun as going along with the group, but there you go. We can do it!
Old 12-18-2021, 09:47 AM

well, last night, I started with clue 1 and sorted my fabric and made my little cheat sheet and got my die out. On to the second one, then the third, and finally the fourth. Ha, still have not cut a triangle or stitched a stitch, but I am getting closer. Still have a big list of things to do today and hopefully by this evening or maybe tomorrow, I will be ready to cut and hopefully start the piecing process. I made pumpkin muffins this morning, did the dishes for that mess, unloaded the done dishes, now going to do two loads of laundry and hopefully get on to holiday cards. Seems like it takes me forever to get done with the daily chores! Oh, and the dog thinks he should go for a walk too.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:19 AM

I am about half way through my Clue 4 and have used each of my garnets once. I thought there was too much uniformity in them, so I scrounged through my stash and found some “Charm” size precuts that worked color wise. I found that with some careful cutting I could get 8 little triangles out of each pre-cut! That is all I have of each fabric, but it might add some zing to the quilt.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:29 AM

If you don’t want to have bias edges on the outside of your hourglass blocks, you could use a HST die and make QST as shown in the Fons & Porter video linked in Clue 4. Start with making HST that have an unfinished size at least 1-1/4” bigger than the hourglass block finished size. That probably means going up 1-1/2” unless you have a lot of unusual dies. Make the HST, then, as in the video, nest the seams and draw a line from corner to corner at a right angle to the seam. Then sew 1/4” on each side of that line and cut along the line after sewing. You will likely need to trim down. Although this should work, I haven’t tried it so make sure to test it first.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I am about half way through my Clue 4 and have used each of my garnets once. I thought there was too much uniformity in them, so I scrounged through my stash and found some “Charm” size precuts that worked color wise. I found that with some careful cutting I could get 8 little triangles out of each pre-cut! That is all I have of each fabric, but it might add some zing to the quilt.
I also have problems with my arthritic hands! That is why I got my Sizzix many years ago. I add a die probably every year, as a lot of cutting really hurts my hands!!! Many of the Accuquilt dies work well on my Sizzix, but I just got a new one (the quarter square triangle Accuquilt die), and it barely too wide for my Sizzix. I hope they will take it back! I did not see one that size on the Sizzix site, I'll have to look again!
Old 12-18-2021, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I can't believe how few garnets I have in my stash. I'm going to look through my precuts. I like that color and don't know why I don't have more of it but it appears I don't. I've done about 40% of clue 4 so far and only have 2 different garnets.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:37 PM

I'm still working on clue 2. I'm about 3/4 done of the pink set and the purple set. I started clue 4. Clue 4 will go quickly. I'll get to clue 3 hopefully by Wednesday.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:44 PM

I have 4 garnets that all came with my kit. I don’t think my stash has a single garnet so I am definately sticking with my four! I started cutting today and have stitched a few triangles. I am probably 20% done with the clue. I think I am going to need the extra days on this one! My sample square is slightly too big so I have been making my seams ever so slightly wider.

I have decided to press my center seam open with the two sides towards the dark. Bonnie said we could choose.....how are you all handling that seam?
Old 12-18-2021, 06:46 PM

I’m spinning my seam on the hourglass. Love that.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:08 PM

If using the strip cutting method where you put a garnet strip and a neutral strip together...would you need all the units written x 2 to get the amount of final units?
TIA
Kirsten